shake 'em up?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

BobbyK
Light Lager
Light Lager

shake 'em up?

Post by BobbyK »

I've just started brewing again after taking 20 years off. One thing I can't remember is should I give my bottles of ale a little shake occasionally during their 70F conditioning in the bottle during the first two weeks? I seem to remember that gave them a little more carbonation (by suspending the yeast that has collected on the bottom I assume), but I haven't seen anything in print about doing that. Are there pros and cons? I've got two cases of Stout that have been conditioning for four days and wondering if I should jiggle them a little right now.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Unnecessary

Post by jayhawk »

I don't think shaking the bottles is necessary. I have never done this, and I have no problems with carbonation. The only time my bottles haven't carbonated was on a batch using a highly flocculant yeast. That batch ended up with a bacterial infection and the beer was undrinkable anyway, so the lack of carbonation did not matter.

I wouldn't worry shaking the bottles. The fact that there is yeast sediment is a good sign. As long you primed the batch properly, these yeast cells should have no problem carbonating your batch. Remember, the yeast cells on the bottom of the bottles were in suspension at bottling time, so they have been able to act on the priming solution.