Choc/Coffee Porter

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

BobbyK
Light Lager
Light Lager

Choc/Coffee Porter

Post by BobbyK »

I'd like to find a partial-mash recipe for a combination of chocolate and coffee in a robust porteror stout. Anybody got any ideas?
IrishRed
Light Lager
Light Lager

How about Buzzard Double Chocolate Espresso Stout

Post by IrishRed »

It was a partial mash recipe in BYO this month. Pg. 28 of December 2002:
OG 1.072 FG 1.020
8# Alexander's Dark Malt Extract Syrup
.5# Crystal Malt
.5# Chocolate malt
.5# Roasted Barley
1# Ghiradelli Select Brown chocolate powder
15 AAU Northern
.5 espresso beans finely gound and brewed to 1 gallon
Wyeast 1056
Place grain in 2.5 g and heat to 150F and let sit for 25 minutes. Return to boil and add extract. Return to boil and add 1 - .5o hops and chocolate (add slowly and stir constantly). Add 45 minutes and add 1/2o of hops. Store for 45 days in secondary and store in cool place (60F). Add 1g coffee at room temp to bottling bucket with 3/4c corn sugar for bottling sugar.

That is the recipe and notes from the "Brewing with Coffee", article by Glenn BurnSilver.

Hope that helps ya! Happy brewing...
BobbyK
Light Lager
Light Lager

Perfect!

Post by BobbyK »

That sounds like just what I was looking for. Thanks!
BobbyK
Light Lager
Light Lager

Couple of Questions

Post by BobbyK »

I don't have this issue and have a couple of questions. '15 AAU Northern', do you mean 1.5 oz? The half pound of crystal malt, I'm guessing it's 60, correct? 'add 1 - .5 hops', does that mean half an ounce, half the total amount of hops, or something else? I understand that at the end of 45 minutes of brewing the rest of the hops are to be added. Is the total brew time one hour? Since your adding a gallon of coffee at bottling, is this a 6 gallon recipe or do you ferment 4 gallons instead of the usual 5?

Thanks for your help.