Hey bread!

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hey bread!

Post by Freon12 »

I was sneeking around the Stpats website and saw some info on high eff. burners.
Plus I was curious to see what the MAN had to say on the subject of smoothing out the burner.

Freon "wishing for cheaper propane".
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

Smooth is Good!

Post by bredmakr »

I am going to have the cast burner bored out and smoothed. My buddy says that this will improve performance given the rough surfaces that exist on the stock item. 'MADE IN CHINA' from morebeer. It may be a while before I have a chance to fire it up but I will test rate the same burner with the same regulator settings before and after the boring, time the boil, and weigh the propane to evaluate performance enhancement. Will keep you posted.

As far as cheaper propane goes, some day I hope to have my dream system built with natural gas piped to it from my house.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Propane/Natural Gas

Post by jayhawk »

Can you run a propane burner off of natural gas? I have a natural gas BBQ directly connected to the house gas line. It would be sweet if I could run my burner off of gas too. Do I have to modify the burner?
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

You da man

Post by Freon12 »

How do you pitch that idea of piping to the "laboratory" to the wife?

So far I'm on a lowered budget due to her finding out about my table top glycol chiller.(I'll send you a picture).

Dexter.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Oriface

Post by Freon12 »

The pin hole in the inlet is not the same size for gas. Propane is more powerful per cubic ft.
You must use the correct equipment for the correct gas.

Don't mess around unless you know exactly what your doing, Gas could be very dangerous.

I'm not kidding, this should be treated with saftey in mind I want you to be around for awhile.

Steve.
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

natural gas...

Post by stumpwater »

You need to get a certified installer to put a gas line to the outside for you. Then all of your propane run appliances will be able to hook up, but they will need an adapter that sells for about $150 Canadian. (I think that is about 75cents American, last I converted money).

Stefan

P.S. (I don't know Dexter, just tell her you require the gasline for the new hot tub you are going to be installing in the future. The gasline is only phase one, and it would be a shame if yoiu didn't put it to use in the mean time. :)
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Nice Angle

Post by dartedplus »

I really like the way you think!!!!! You are a true deviant (in a good way)
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bootlegging=hottub

Post by jayhawk »

Just start selling your brew to highschool kids. You could afford that gas line, adapter, & hottub in no time.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Dexter

Post by Freon12 »

I was invoking a cartoon named "Dexter's Laboratory" in reference to the lab I built for beer. Watch it on catoon network, and you'll see.(Dang 10 year olds won't give back my remote!)

Anyway, I hope that gas line thing doesn't backfire, you don't know my wife. It would be like telling the IRS you gave already and it's only November.

But, it's a good try.(you are evil, in a good way).

Cheers
Freon
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Dee Dee

Post by Gravity Thrills »

"Get avay from de beeer Deee Deeee...!"

I wish I had Dexter as my lab pertner in college chemistry.