need help with my first lager

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

timmse
Light Lager
Light Lager

need help with my first lager

Post by timmse »

Hi all

I am in the midst of brewing my first lager, and a have few questions for u pros :-).

I am doing my diacethyl rest now at 60 F and I will start my lagering tomorrow. What will happen to the yeast during the lagering? Will it die or just go dormant? And what about calculating my priming sugar when i bottle it? Should I use the 60 F temp to calculate the co2 level(diacethyl rest, The fermentation has stopped!) or the 35 F from the lagering period?

All help will be appreciated

Timmse
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Suggestions

Post by jayhawk »

These answers are based on my general beer knowledge, as I have no lagering experience.
The yeast will just go dormant. It will fall out of suspension, and I think many brewers repitch some yeast after lagering, just prior to bottling. As far as priming and carbonation, I think the best way is to calculate based on your serving temp. That way you will have the proper CO2 volumes when you serve the beer.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yeast Dependant

Post by Freon12 »

It depends on what yeast, but I use German lager for most. This yeast will not nned a rest and it is active to about 40f. I lower the tempreture slowly over a period of 4 days from room temp where I got the yeast started to 48f where it ferments out in about 6 weeks.(gravity about 1.018)
I then lower the tempreture fast to 32f to "crash" the yeast to the bottom(some people use finings at this time)and rack due to the fact I force carbonate and do not need the yeast.

The website for the yeast your using will give the ideal tempreture for that strain.

You'll love lagers!
No luck to it, only planning.

Freon
timmse
Light Lager
Light Lager

thx guys

Post by timmse »

Thanks for the help, im looking forward to the beer!!!

timm