Carbonating Barley Wine

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Grover

Carbonating Barley Wine

Post by Grover »

I need suggestions as to techniques for carbonating high gravity barley wine. My barley wine has ABV of 12.77%, and I am leery of just adding corn sugar to it and hoping for the best. Please advise if you have any suggestions for success in this endeavor. I am thinking about krausening, or adding champagne yeast.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

The difference is?

Post by Freon12 »

I think if you know how carbonated you want this beer(1.5 vol):) I would use the chart for corn sugar because a low carb rate will mean low amount of corn sugar and not jump the abv up a bunch using let's say 1/2 cup. And due to the heavey nature, any taste added will not show up.

My opinion, Freon
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

fresh yeast 4 sure

Post by Gravity Thrills »

If you matured this one in secondary for a month at the very least as is par for the course with barleywines, pitching fresh yeast is a must. And, at 12% abv, using champaigne yeast or something suited to a hi-test Belgian ale is probably the right battle plan. The style is suited to underpriming - maybe 1/2 to 2/3 cups corn sugar instead of the 3/4 cups typically called for. But neither sugar or speise will get the job done if the original yeast is too drunk to dance and you don't add fresh stuff. Krausen or just pitching fresh yeast with priming sugar will work, if the yeast is alcohol tolerant.

I admitted in another thread below that I don't have the self control or the cellerage to lay something like an authentic barlywine down for even the fast track 4 months required to smooth out the rough edges. I envy you your patience. But, I will happily tell you where to send a bottle or two of this brew when it's ready if you find you have a hard time consuming it all :-)

"And the Huntsman - he got off the fox, though so loudly to blow his horn. And the tinker - he can't mend kettle nor pot without a little Barleycorn."
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I waited 6 months

Post by dartedplus »

I waited 6 months before taking the first taste of my bwine, although it is actually a wheat wine (51% wheat in the grist) I think I will be waiting at least another 6 months before trying it again as it was still a bit rough, too hoppy just yet. So I will patiently wait until it is not. Even if I have to wait until it is 2 years old!!! Boy wont that be smooooooooth. its hidden away in a dark corner of my basement so I dont have to see it....out of sight, out of mind.
Ed
Grover

Thanks

Post by Grover »

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am going to try some champagne yeast and corn sugar or DME to prime this bad boy. Will the champagne yeast produce any off flavors? I'll let it sit in the carboy a bit longer and probably bottle sometime after Christmas.