Mac OS High Sierra Update leads to issues

Found a problem? Post details on BeerTools Pro errors and how they are caused.
beerphoto
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mac OS High Sierra Update leads to issues

Post by beerphoto »

Very happy user here for many many years.

I recently upgraded my MacBook to High Sierra and am having a few issues with BT Pro since.

1. The sidebar panel: All folder alphabetical hierarchy has stopped working. The folders are organized seemingly randomly and I can't rearrange them. If I create a new one, it goes to the bottom and stays there - so it's possible they're organized by creation date.

2. The middle panel: The alphabetical hierarchy works on the middle panel, where I can sort a recipe by name, style etc. with no issues. But on the folders where I have many recipes, I can't scroll down. If I scroll down through the list, it jumps back up to the top before I have a chance to select anything.

3. When using the Shopping List function, upon hitting "Done", I sometimes get an Out of Bounds / Unstable application message. And infrequently, the program crashes.

Hoping they can be resolved.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Mac OS High Sierra Update leads to issues

Post by jeff »

Those are frustrating issues. They are known but I am still trying to duplicate them on my Mac. Did you enable iCloud document storage when upgrading the OS?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
beerphoto
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by beerphoto »

Jeff - thanks for the reply... yes, I do have iCloud storage enabled.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Is there any improvement if you keep your BeerTools Pro library folder outside of your iCloud storage?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
beerphoto
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by beerphoto »

I didn't fully understand your question about iCloud Storage. I do have an iCloud account but store limited data there - just my e-mail and some database stuff. I have the"Desktop & Documents Folders" option unchecked. I don't believe any of my BeerTools Pro data is stored there -- unless there's something about it I don't understand.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Ok, that answers my question. I just wanted to know if the BeerTools Pro database was being synced with iCloud. In your case it doesn't seem like it since you don't have your desktop and documents folders enabled. This is an issue that some Mac users are experiencing and I can't reproduce the problem on any of my Macs yet. But, hopefully narrowing down the possible causes.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
ubermick

Post by ubermick »

Yup, I'm having the same issue. Brand new retina Macbook Pro running High Sierra, not using iCloud storage - the recipes are showing up, but I can't scroll down to access anything beyond the last one in the window. Tried selecting a recipe and going down through the list using the arrow keys, but same problem. So unfortunately, this renders everything a bit useless right now.

I've had to download a trial version of Beersmith 3 to be able to brew. Not a fan of that piece of software, but at least it's working for me. Hopefully this can get resolved before the trial period ends.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

I posted a new update that may or may not affect this problem. I have yet to reproduce this behavior on my Macs so attempts to fix it are pretty much a stab in the dark. The latest update adds a few other fixes and changes including a change from 32 bit to 64 bit.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
beerphoto
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by beerphoto »

Just downloaded and opened it. My folders are still randomly organized rather than alphanumerical. But other than that, so far so good. Will update you if any odd behaviors remain. Thanks for your attention to the issue.
beerphoto
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by beerphoto »

Jeff - I did find a bug in the new version -

In Shopping List, when I add a recipe (using the + button), the recipe adds to the list, but then the window becomes unresponsive. I can move the window around, but none of the buttons function, including the "Done" button. The only way to exit the window is to force quit. After force quit and reopening the window, the recipe I added is there, and I can use the Shopping List window as normal - unless I add another recipe.

Hope that helps.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

beerphoto wrote:In Shopping List, when I add a recipe (using the + button), the recipe adds to the list, but then the window becomes unresponsive. I can move the window around, but none of the buttons function, including the "Done" button. The only way to exit the window is to force quit. After force quit and reopening the window, the recipe I added is there, and I can use the Shopping List window as normal - unless I add another recipe.
I couldn’t duplicate this. Is it still happening in version 2.0.21?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
beerphoto
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by beerphoto »

Looks like it cleared up. Thanks! My sidebar folders have also re-alphabetized - which makes me happy. :-)

The only thing that's still happening is the attached popup when exiting shopping list - but it doesn't really seem to affect anything - I just select "Continue".
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 8.38.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 8.38.12 AM.png (112.01 KiB) Viewed 17076 times
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

beerphoto wrote:The only thing that's still happening is the attached popup when exiting shopping list - but it doesn't really seem to affect anything - I just select "Continue".
Does this still occur with version 2.0.22?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
beerphoto
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by beerphoto »

Yes - just double checked and still getting it. Again, so far, can always hit "continue" and haven't noticed any issues.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 8.40.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 8.40.11 AM.png (97.58 KiB) Viewed 16960 times