Using Bouron

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Using Bouron

Postby Circle7 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:04 pm

Hey Folks,

Trying to figure out alcohol adjustments using Bouron in a recipe. I see in BT where I can add a special ingredient, name it and say what it costs, but no way to really know the effect on ABV. I have read that it's roughly 1% per pint per 5 gallons.

In my case I will be adding 6 cups (roughly 12 pints) of 45% (90 proof) Bourbon to 19 gallons of beer that was 6.5% to begin with.

So 2 questions...

1) Any guess at what that will do to the final ABV

2) Is there any way to have Beer Tools figure this out for me?

Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Using Bouron

Postby slothrob » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:56 pm

45% Bourbon will add 1.1% if you add a pint to 5 gallons. You can calculate it like this:
(ABV increase) = (ABV of Bourbon) x (ounces of Bourbon) ÷ (ounces of beer + ounces of Bourbon).

It's helpful to know that 5 gallons is 640 ounces and a pint is 16 ounces. By the way, 6 cups is 3 pints, not 12. 3 pints of 90 proof adds 3 x 1.1% = 3.3%, to 5 gallons.

To get BeerToolsPro to calculate this, create a new adjunct and named it "Bourbon". Edit it to uncheck "Mashing Requited" and change the "Original Gravity" field to "56.5 °Oe". Then, if you add the quantity in ounces or treat pounds as pints, it should calculate the final ABV for you.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP

Return to General