Setting Templates for Consistent Measurements

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

DannyV

Setting Templates for Consistent Measurements

Post by DannyV »

I have been away from brewing for over a year and while I have used BeerTools for many years I have never really set it up to take advantage of all it tools. I am a partial mash/extract brewer in Raleigh, NC. I want to set up good templates for water, equipment, hop utilization, etc,.

Obviously my set up will be different from other users but, I need to know how to put it all together. Though I have set most of these things up I don't see where they make any difference in my batches.

I aslo notice that when I set up the same ingredients in different windows I am getting different results. I really need consistent/reliable measurements from BeerTools so I can focus on my consistency.
slothrob

Re: Setting Templates for Consistent Measurements

Post by slothrob »

DannyV wrote:I want to set up good templates for water, equipment, hop utilization, etc,...

Though I have set most of these things up I don't see where they make any difference in my batches.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't see any differences from using a Template, if it isn't identical to the previous settings. You should be able to see the difference in utilization algorithms by changing the formula under Recipes>Utilization, but to apply a Template, you have to Load Template, otherwise it won't make the changes. This is different than a Default, which applies the settings automatically to every new recipe.
I aslo notice that when I set up the same ingredients in different windows I am getting different results. I really need consistent/reliable measurements from BeerTools so I can focus on my consistency.
Do you have specific examples?
Sometimes you will see slight differences in two seemingly identical recipes because you arrived at them through different sets of changes. This can result in slight variations due to hidden decimals and rounding, but the variations should be minor.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP