What lager yeast should I use?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

brewdude
Light Lager
Light Lager

What lager yeast should I use?

Post by brewdude »

I'm getting ready for another brew season and would like to know what lager yeast to use. I'll be culturing a whole seasons-worth of yeast from this starter so I want to be a little choosy. If I had to pick a commercial lager beer I'd like to get the yeast from it would probably be Fosters. Or maybe just using a general purpose lager yeast. Any suggestions? Oh, did anyone ever lager in an old fridge with the temp set to around 35-40 deg.? How did it work?
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

German lager

Post by Freon12 »

I am not a "hop head" so to speak, so keep this in mind as you read.

Wlp830 whitelabs german lager is the most widely used yeast in Germany.(and at Steve's bar and grill).

It is malty with a clean finish, and is my personal favorite. If I had to choose only one, this would be it.

As for the frig., you need to be at 54f to lager in the secondary. At 35f the yeast will slow or go to sleep.

They have tempreture controls out that plug into the cord to control the setting.
If you are the tool type, buy a digital controller for about $40.00US and wire it in that way you can also do ales at 70f and crash ales at 33f.
The digital controller(and some mechcanical ones) are ambient tempreture compensated(which means you can put frig. outside in winter).

I recommend a crankcase heater for this also, it is a metal band that keeps the compressor oil warm and free of entrained refrigerant that can wash the oil from the bearings in cold weather.

My names not Freon for nothing. Hope that helps.
Steve.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

What do you like to brew ?

Post by Azorean Brewer »

I hate to answer a question with a question but this is a tough "general" question.

What type of lager do you like. Is it a light pilsner or heavier Irish Lager? If you are just looking for a good all around Lager yeast I am with Steve. He and I both agree that seeing how the Germans perfected lagering it only makes sense that they would have the best yeast for it.

The Reinheitsgebot (German beer purity law of 1516) wasn't invented by accident.

My second favorite is the White Labs WLP820 Oktoberfest / Marzen. This is better for amber to dark Lagers. I agree if you are going to culture you want nothing but the best. White Labs in my opinion offers the brewer excellent quality bar-none.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Paul.