aeration

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

aeration

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Until last week I shook my carboy to aerate the wort. I now have a SS air stone and aquarium pump with filter as recommended by JP and JZ. Anyway, they want you to run this for 1/2 hour prior to pitching the yeast. I get 10 minutes and I have foam coming out the carboy neck. What am I doing wrong. I though a bigger vessel would help but I had at least a gallon of head space. Any help would be appreciated.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Let me answer my own question

The first beer I tried the SS stone on was a lager. Low mash temp... highly fermentable... and cold (50 degrees). All these aided in the foam from heck.
Today I made a double chocolate stout. I ran the stone with a max of 1 inch of foam forming on the top. So there you have it.
slothrob

air stone

Post by slothrob »

Can you slow down the pump? Then you probably could run it longer...

For the cold Lager wort, at least the oxygen probably dissolved faster.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Kink the line

I guess I could try it but it was taking along time for the foam to settle. Something to play with. Didn't work on my lager, worked on my chocolate stout... will it work on my amber ale tomorrow. Only time will tell.
cybergalvez

Re: Kink the line

Post by cybergalvez »

I have been using a pump ans stone for about a year now with great results, but I always do my primary fermentation in a 6 gal plastic bucket. Like you said I get lots of foam, but the bucket and handle it easily. I usually transfer to a glass carboy about about a week and let it finish off before I keg