BLP Pro on multiple PCs

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
starsailor
Light Lager
Light Lager

BLP Pro on multiple PCs

Post by starsailor »

I suppose I'm not alone with this issue. I have multiple PCs in the household. I typically run BLP on my main desktop at my desk to compose recipies, enter inventory, etc. I have a notebook PC that I want to run BLP on while brewing either on my backyard deck, in my garage in winter, or at brew club brew days. Can I install the SW on my 2 PCs and share database files, recipes, etc. without buying multiple copies or violating any licence agreement?
slothrob

Multiple copies of BTP

Post by slothrob »

As long as you only put it on your own computers, you're allowed to install a single copy of BTP on multiple machines. I've never tried it, but I think there's a post on here somewhere explaining how to share a single database, as well, but I can't seem to find it.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: BLP Pro on multiple PCs

Post by jeff »

starsailor wrote:I suppose I'm not alone with this issue. I have multiple PCs in the household. I typically run BLP on my main desktop at my desk to compose recipies, enter inventory, etc. I have a notebook PC that I want to run BLP on while brewing either on my backyard deck, in my garage in winter, or at brew club brew days. Can I install the SW on my 2 PCs and share database files, recipes, etc. without buying multiple copies or violating any licence agreement?
The fact that you even asked this question indicates that you are conscientious and sensitive to the rights of the software author. This is very appreciated, thanks. Because of this, I trust that you can distinguish between an abuse of the license agreement and installation on multiple computers for the purpose of practicality. The software is primarily for you to use and it is understood that many users require the use of several installations to make life easier.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
starsailor
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Multiple copies of BTP

Post by starsailor »

slothrob wrote:As long as you only put it on your own computers, you're allowed to install a single copy of BTP on multiple machines. I've never tried it, but I think there's a post on here somewhere explaining how to share a single database, as well, but I can't seem to find it.
OK, thanks for a quick answer. Also, thanks for the hint on sharing a DB between PCs. I'll search and find it and will surely use it.
starsailor
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: BLP Pro on multiple PCs

Post by starsailor »

jeff wrote: The fact that you even asked this question indicates that you are conscientious and sensitive to the rights of the software author. This is very appreciated, thanks. Because of this, I trust that you can distinguish between an abuse of the license agreement and installation on multiple computers for the purpose of practicality. The software is primarily for you to use and it is understood that many users require the use of several installations to make life easier.
I'm a software engineer myself well versed in shareware and open source. That's why I asked. You hit the nail on head by saying "for the purpose of practicality." I'll only use the SW on my desktop and laptop and will share a DB on my netowrk. Thanks!