[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - Water chemistry tool ???'s

Water chemistry tool ???'s

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

Water chemistry tool ???'s

Postby river water brewing » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:18 pm

JG
Just trying to find the perfect batch!!!
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

water calculator

Postby slothrob » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:17 pm

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Thanks and follow up ?

Postby river water brewing » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:38 pm

JG
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

water

Postby slothrob » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:59 pm

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Chloride

Postby river water brewing » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:14 pm

JG
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

water

Postby slothrob » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:55 pm

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Thanks, one more question

Postby river water brewing » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:45 pm

JG
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Still messin with it

Postby river water brewing » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:42 pm

JG
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

water

Postby slothrob » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:05 am

The RA is a function of your water and isn't affected by your recipe and the pH is the projected pH of an all-base malt mash.

You need to use another tool to determine the RA that your recipe needs to hit pH. One popular one is I used that to generate this graph which I find to be quicker for getting the RA from SRM:
With these tools, you need to consider the target RA to be +/- 30 and aim for the high end of the range if your SRM comes from mostly Crystal Malt, the low end if the color comes from mostly Roasted Malt and somewhere in the middle if it's a mix. (e.g., if your SRM is 7.5, your target RA is 0 +/- 30, or -30 to +30.)

Both of those methods will give you a pretty good quick and dirty estimate of the RA you need for a recipe, but you may find that you need to make corrections in the tun. It seems to work for me most of the time, but people seem to have more problems as recipes hit the extremes of the SRM ranges and when more extreme water salt additions are called for.

For the calculator that most accurately takes into account the acidity of Crystal and Roasted Malts, look at The only problem with that spreadsheet is that it requires you to enter all of your water salt information to get a pH estimate.

For Acidulated Malt, one way to calculate the amount needed is to use , also from Kai Troester. It will tell you how much of a pH shift you will get for a given percentage of Acidulated Malt at a given mash thickness. Kai's spreadsheet will also allow you to calculate the effect of different percentages of Acid Malt on pH.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Thanks!!!

Postby river water brewing » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:08 pm

Great info!! i love the excel sheet, thats just what i needed!!! you are the man!!
JG
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

water

Postby slothrob » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:40 pm

Good luck with it!

If I haven't said it already, here's some unsolicited advice: Go easy on the salt additions at first. Try to get where you need to be with the least addition necessary. I've seen a few people go to town, trying to match water profiles from specific cities that were radically different than their own, only to be disappointed that their beer tastes "salty".

If you like the results you get from small additions, you can then try increasing the amounts on subsequent batches, if you're looking for more effect.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

i agree

Postby river water brewing » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:55 am

i just got done listening to 3 hrs of the brew strong pod casts on water and John Palmer had the same advice, so i am mainly trying to hit the right RA and the same chloride and sulfur ratio that my target city has.

it seems like i can do this without over "seasoning" the beer.

Thanks as always!! you might have to send me your mailing address so i can send you a "thank you" i just finished some pretty tasty Belgians. oh and i never did that light American pils for my wife, i opted for a CAP, just did not want to risk ruining that much wort = )

can you PM me and i will give you my email address so you can get me your info (if you would like).

Josh
JG
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Postby jawbox » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:10 am

I love Kai's spreadsheet. He gave a pretty good seminar on efficiency at the NHC in MN the other week. All the seminars will be posted online at somepoint.

Jaw
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

water

Postby slothrob » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:50 am

I wish I could have seen Kai's talk. He's done some great work defining mash conditions and their effects on a homebrewing scale. His is really worth taking a look at, too, if you want to better understand conversion and extraction in your mash/lauter tun.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Re: water calculator

Postby slothrob » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:06 pm

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Next

Return to Brewing Science