[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - Yeast starters and size of Erlenmeyer Flask

Yeast starters and size of Erlenmeyer Flask

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

Yeast starters and size of Erlenmeyer Flask

Postby river water brewing » Tue May 11, 2010 4:37 pm

JG
Just trying to find the perfect batch!!!
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

No problem

Postby brewmeisterintng » Tue May 11, 2010 6:54 pm

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: Yeast starters and size of Erlenmeyer Flask

Postby slothrob » Tue May 11, 2010 7:41 pm

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

thanks!!

Postby river water brewing » Fri May 14, 2010 6:18 pm

JG
Just trying to find the perfect batch!!!
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

erlenmeyers

Postby slothrob » Sat May 15, 2010 9:20 am

The lore in the lab has always been that Pyrex® by Corning were the best, but I don't know that I've seen evidence to support that, and I've certainly broken Pyrex ones.

I think the secret is even heat and gradual cooling. I use a heated stir-plate that's designed for this, but if I was using an electric stove I'd use a . I've heard of people heating their flask on a cast-iron pan, which might accomplish the same thing. After that I never plunge the hot flask directly into ice water. I also allow it to cool for a while in the air before putting it into cold water to finish cooling.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Postby conman » Sat May 15, 2010 9:48 am

I would either buy a heated dtirplate or stay away from direct heating of your flasks.
boiling in a nice shiny stainless boiler and transferring to a flask is probably the simplist and safest practice that will accomplish everything you need without risking your flask(s) JMO.
Homebrewing since 1998!
conman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

erlenmeyers

Postby Bob57702 » Sat May 15, 2010 10:44 am

I had a flask (6l) break directly due to the concentrated heating of the element of an electric stove. I've since replaced the flask and the stove. The stove is still electric but now it's a glass top. No problems since. I've never had a problem with putting the hot flask into an ice bath. Of course this is lab glass and it's intended for this type of use.

Now here's a question; If you're using DME and RO water, possibly with nutrients, is there a real reason to boil? I've recently stopped the boiling practice and have had equally good results without the issues of boiling.

PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Return to Brewing Science