[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - Force Carbonation

Force Carbonation

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Force Carbonation

Postby river water brewing » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:11 am

JG
Just trying to find the perfect batch!!!
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Bracketing

Postby brewmeisterintng » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:10 pm

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Postby Suthrncomfrt1884 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:34 pm

I recently got into a conversation about this subject on another board. I'm also a fan of "set it and forget it", but I didn't realize some of the specifics.

Here's an illustration one of the other homebrewers showed me. Apparently he tested 3 different kegs to find out a definate answer to which method was the best.

Now, as it shows, "set it and forget it" is obviously a better route. But, it also looks like regardless what you do, it will take 2-3 weeks for EVERY method to taste perfectly balanced. After thinking about it, I do notice that even if it's carbed at 1 week, it tastes MUCH better at 2-3.

Here's a link to the full thread incase anyone's interested in his full write-up.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Force carb pressure

Postby slothrob » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:16 am

Suthern, what was the technique for the blue line? You seem to have forgotten the link..
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

great graph, couple questions

Postby river water brewing » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:42 pm

Suthrn,

great info thanks!!!

what is the ''CORRECT BURST" and what is the "POOR BURST", what do these methods entail?

and slothrob is right i think you forgot the link to the thred on this subject.

thank you all very much
JG
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Blue line

Postby brewmeisterintng » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:16 pm

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Postby Suthrncomfrt1884 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:29 am

Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Postby Suthrncomfrt1884 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:40 am

Link

Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Follow up!!!

Postby river water brewing » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 pm

Hello, so i have now done this process on 2 batches of beer with great success. perfect carbonation and its giving the beer enough time to age properly. Great info, thanks allot!!

Question, lets say you are doing a lager, or an alt like a kolsch that you will be allowing to "lager" at near freezing temps for a period of time. Would the 3 weeks that the beer is carbonating be effective as "lagering" time as well? see time line below

Active fermentation = 2 weeks
Time to settle yeast out = 1 week
Rack to keg and filter @ the 3 week mark
Force carbonate = 4 week (slightly longer due to it needing to "lager" for 4 weeks)

or would it still need to flow like this

Active fermentation = 2 weeks
Lager @ 33° = 4 weeks
Rack to keg and filter @ the 6 week mark
Force carbonate = 3 weeks

thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
JG
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Postby KingKeggerWA » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:39 am

KingKeggerWA

There is no Spoon

Postby brewmeisterintng » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:01 am

... from The Matrix
The elusive perfect brew does not exist. The brewer/ artist will always find a flaw (perceived or real) in every batch he makes. Others will tell you that "this batch is the greatest" but you will think... the color is off, it could have been a little clearer, it's a little sweet...
I am surprised that this thread keeps popping up. :wink: Some good stuff.
There are a lot of great ideas listed here but there is no one true answer... This is a hobby and I am having a blast making awesome brews. The bottom line is that I do it because I enjoy it... and the fruit of my labor. If others like what I have made (or not)... my palate is what I am trying to please.
I personally don't like porters or Irish reds so I don't brew them.
Our club president is a "Shake and Bake" guy. It's his beer and he does make some great ones so if he force carbonates differntly than I do... so be it.
Bottom line is brewers preference. :D
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Postby KingKeggerWA » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:40 am

Couldn't agree with your sentiments more. If a perfect anything existed life would be bland at best. I like to find brewers who do things different to me - and I realise that carbonation is the near end of making a great beer - its all in the time, discipline, quality of ingredients and lets not forget cleanliness spent prior
To each his own and your spot on, please your own palete first, the rest of 'em can drink up whats on offer or bring their own. Ah the joy of brewing, the challenge of finding beer nirvana - love it.
KingKeggerWA

Return to Techniques, Methods, Tips & How To