5 Gallon Gott cooler mash tun capacity? or alternative ...

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

5 Gallon Gott cooler mash tun capacity? or alternative ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Good morning all,

I know somewhere out there someone is using a 5 gallon Gott cooler for a mash tun. What I am interested in is "What is the maximum safest amount of grain you can comfortably mash in one"? And also have you rigged it to second as a lauter tun? I am thinking about going this route and want to ensure before I spend the $$$ I can use it properly.

Some specifics: I always make one batch at a time (5 gallons worth for final bottling amount) and I want to be able to mash up to say 12-15 pounds for the occasional Bock / Old Ale / Heavy, but mostly my grain bill is in the 10-12 pounds total weight.

OK, I am open to alternative suggestions but like the idea of a tall round system for lautering ... What are you using ?

Thanks in advance,
Paul.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Around 14#

Post by BillyBock »

Paul: I used to use a 5-gal Gott w/ a Phil's Phalse Bottom and custom bulkhead. I seem to remember being able to fit about 14# of grains at a ratio of 1:1. But, the water level was at the top. Maybe go for a 10 gal?

v/r
Bill
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Low Cap

Post by andytv »

I made two batches in a coleman 5 gal "upright cooler" before I went to my 10 gallon system. My batched were standard gravity styles; APA, Oaty Stout (approx 11-12lbs), and the capacity was such that the water level was real close to the top by the time I added enough hot water to reach mash out temps. As far as rigging; I used my standard method of SS braid for a filter. Worked great.

Andy
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

yup

Post by dartedplus »

yeah 14-15 lbs is about what you can fit into it. I do all of my mashing in my brewpot, so that I can adjust temp when necessary. I then transfer it to the cooler ( pain in the !@#) by using a 1 quart measuring cup. once the grains are in there i usually have about 1-3 inches to the top depending on what kind of grains I have in there. It works fine for me except when it gets stuck. $^&&%$#&%^!!! but that happens sometimes when you use oats. but what the heck. if you haven't bought anything yet, then get the 10 gallon. if you are using a single step mash, then it would be ok, but I usually use a step mash. I dont know why, but I do. Well, I'm gonna go check if I have the winning powerball ticket, if there is one, later guys.
Ed
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Rectangluar cooler warpage ? ? ?

Post by Azorean Brewer »

OK after reading what I have here, and in Steve Snyder's book "Brew Master's Bible", I am convinced that the way to go is either 10 gallon vertical water cooler (Gott for instance) or to go with a 10 gallon rectanular cooler. Steve points out that most big "chest" type cooler can't handle the 170F water and tend to warp and buckle. Has anyone else had this happen? If not what name brand cooler are you using?
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Warpage

Post by andytv »

I use an old (circa 1980) coleman rectangular 10 gallon (11.5 measured) cooler. I've run maybe 20 batches through it and YES it does warp. The sides warp a little, but not too dramtically. I figure I have about another year of usage, then I'll get another one.
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

The seams busted but still good

Post by stumpwater »

Hey Paul! I have run 10 batches through my $25 Coleman rectangular cooler, 48 litre capacity. I run about 10 kilos of grain ( about 22 lbs). The seams at the top front have split because I left spent grain in overnight, but as far as the integrity of the cooler, it is still good. The cooler still holds good temperature and the lid still shuts. The seam I am refering to is the one from the inner liner to the outer liner. I would say that if you are going to buy a cooler, look and see if you can get one that is all one piece. I don't know if such a beast exists, but if it does, that is the one you want. The seamless one. Good luck, but for the money, you could do worse than the 48 litre rectangular Coleman. I use a copper manifold as described by John Palmer on the howtobrew.com website. Let me know what you come up with as I am thinking about upgrading my process to include 2-3 mash/lauter tuns. I want all three of my favourite brews on tap with no lag time!

Na Zdahroveh!

Stefan