Priming Sugar

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

jleggett

Priming Sugar

Post by jleggett »

I brewed my first beer two weeks ago and wasn't paying attention this morning and put the priming sugar in my ferminting bucket before transferring it over to my second bucket for bottling. I have not transfered my beer to the second bucket yet, as I was not sure if I should let it sit a few days or just pitch it and try again? Any thoughts? Thanks for the help. Justin
slothrob

priming sugar

Post by slothrob »

Hmm...

You should still be able to transfer and bottle it. I'm not sure how fast the sugar will get eaten up, but it's probably still mostly there. Especially if you aren't seeing bubbles from the airlock. At the worst it would be on the low side of carbonation.

If you are worried about it being undercarbonated, then you could wait until next weekend. By then the sugar should be completely gone and you can transfer it to the bottling bucket and re-prime it with sugar.

There's no need to pitch it (if you mean toss the beer).
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

RE: Primer added to fermenting bucket

Post by billvelek »

If you boiled the priming sugar in some water, just let it ferment out and bottle later. If you didn't boil the sugar, some or most of it is probably sitting on the bottom undissolved which is likely for the finish of fermentation to take awhile, so I would stir it up to dissolve the sugar, and let it ferment out and bottle later.

There are other alternatives, like racking to a secondary if you have one, if you want to go to that extra trouble; if you are going to do that, then do NOT stir the primary because you don't care if undissolved sugar remains on the bottom with the trub, and it is pointless to stir up the trub and then do a secondary.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768