Priming Sugar staring fermentation again

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Asalomon

Priming Sugar staring fermentation again

Post by Asalomon »

I just added priming sugar to bottle a saison, and as soon as I did, it began fermenting again. FG was 1011. Should I wait another few days and try again, or try to bottle now? Will waiting affect the beer at all?
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE:Priming sugar

Post by Legman »

Ok, first back up and explain you process up to the point where you added the priming sugar. More info is needed to understand what's going on.

I've never seen fermentation start back up as soon as you add priming sugar.
If you haven't bottled it now, I'd just wait and start over or you may not get the proper carbonation. I don't believe this will effect beer negatively, other than the gravity will be slightly higher than before, but not by much.
Asalomon

Post by Asalomon »

OK,
Saison brewed about 4 weeks ago. Fermentation stalled around 1022. pitched second starter about 7 days ago. fermentation appeared to have stopped. FG at 1011. boiled 2 cups water 15 min, added slightly under 3/4 cup corn sugar, boiled 10 min. cooled sugar mixture. added sugar mixture straight to carboy for bottling.
Within minutes, strong fermentation and some foaming began.

As of now, I'm waiting at least a few days before testing gravity and retrying to bottle.

Next time, I assume a bottling bucket may be a better option. Otherwise, besides visual cues are there any ways to know if the yeast are truly chilled out and ready to bottle? (other than checking gravity every day)
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

You said it...checking the gravity. Just looking at a beer with never tell you for sure. This is very suprising. I've never seen a beer take off within minutes of adding sugar. I can't remember what it's called off hand, but I think there's something you can add to your beer to make sure the yeast is dead. Only do this if you keg though.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

Hmmm, that is strange. I don't ever remember seeing anything like that when I was bottling.

Why did you add the corn sugar directly to the carboy? Was there still yeast and trub sediment in there?