Installing a kettle valve

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Installing a kettle valve

Post by Legman »

Just got a killer deal on a very heavy duty 60 qt. stock pot on Craigslist. It sells for $250-380 for a new one. I got it for 30 bucks! :mrgreen:

I'm wanting to install a drain valve on this, but have never done this before and don't want to take a chance on screwing this up.

Anyone got any info, tips, trick or part list that I need before I go drilling a hole in my new pot?
Grizz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Grizz »

Well there are a few questions. One is the pot going to have a false bottom or a bazooka tube. Two are you using a weld less valve kit or are you having a fitting welded in. The pot will drill like any steel. Drill the hole in steps and take your time. If you have it welded make sure that you have a stainless steel fabricator that works with food equipment do it for you. If not welded with 316 grade stainless rod and fittings it will rust. Welding it will not be cheap but done right its wroth it. make sure that you give your self a little room for adjustment with the location of the hole.
Beer is to Men as Water is to Fish!
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Drilling and a Weldless Valve

Post by shaggyt »

I'm in the process of keg-to-kettle conversion and decided to go the weldless route for my valve. I have yet to drill into the keg but have researched the following:

Use a bi-metal hole saw
Drill slowly with significant pressure (not too much)
lots of wd-40 (to cool the surface and bit)

This was my first time doing this so I googled a bunch...keywords "keg conversion." I found several techniques but the above fit my tools and abilities. Some of these were on youtube which definitely helped from the visual perspective.

As far as the valve goes, I'm piecing mine together at the local hardware store. The only challenge so far is finding washers and orings rated for high temperatures. They exist, just not at my local outlets. Zymico has complete conversion valves available for roughly $30 + shippping, but I thought I'd save some money by piecing one together.

I should be drilling my hole tonight or tomorrow...I'll let you know if the hole saw works.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

re:Weldless Valve

Post by Legman »

Shaggyt, I'm doing the same thing. I've pieced a valve and a drain tube inside the kettle. I'm using just regular rubber O-rings from my hardware store. The kettle is only going to get to boiling temperature and no higher, 212F depending on where you live. The rubber should hold up to those temperature without a problem. I read in another forum, that someone else did just that and that they have worked out just fine.
If you're still concerned about it, maybe check an auto parts store. They may have something there.
I'll post some pics as soon as I get time to assemble everything.
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Drilling results

Post by shaggyt »

Hole saw worked like a charm...testing out the kettle today.

I am really amazed at how simple this conversion process is. I cannot wait to begin the 10 gal batches...I might actually get some home improvement projects done :lol: !

PS - anyone interested in a SS value assembly for a conversion, search porter house brew shop...under $30 before shipping...best price I've seen so far.