Building up my keg stock.

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Building up my keg stock.

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Hey all,

Currently, I only have space in my kegorator for 2 kegs. I've only been brewing when one of the kegs run dry, but this leaves me with no beer for a week or so after the second runs dry. I'm on vacation from work for the next week, so I'd like to brew maybe every other day and get 3-4 batches going.

My question is... When these batches are done, can I keg them and not put them in the fridge? I'm assuming it would be just like using a secondary, but I'm wondering if there's anything I should do other than putting it in the keg, sealing it with a little CO2, and letting it sit.

Also, how long is too long when it comes to leaving a keg at room temp that's not carbonated? I thought about maybe carbonating them when they're ready....but then I'd have to worry about all kinds of temp changes from cooling it to carbing temp, then removing it again, then putting it back in and cooling it to get it on tap.

Sorry for the long post... any advice?
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Kegging

Post by Legman »

Suthrn, I have the same problem.....kegerator only holds 2 kegs.
But it's not a big deal to have a stock ready to go. Right now I got 8 kegs full and waiting to be tapped. They are all at different aging stages. For the majority of them I've got it timed to where they'll be in the keg 2-3 months before they go into the kegerator.
I keep them in my fermenting room which stays 66-68 F most of the time. I just seal 'em up and let 'em sit. I don't think there's any down side to doing it that way. Technically, beer will not go bad unless you have some kind of an infection. So I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Brew on my friend! :mrgreen: