mail order?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

stouts
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

mail order?

Post by stouts »

hey guys, im fixing to go all grain and was wondering how many people mail order their grain/hops and all.is it cost effective to mail order brewing ingredients?thanks in advance jay
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Making a day of it

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Jay,

Glad to have another all grain brother to the band. Welcome aboard. I usually order online, there are a couple of good sites, up in the central northeast is http://www.grapeandgranary.com and in the southeast there are several that are very resonable. The best one that I have found is Homebrew Adventures in Charlotte NC at http://www.homebrew.com these guys are great and have good advice too ... Charlotte is about 110 miles for me so my wife and I make a day of it, I submit my order a day or two in advance and drive out there, pickup my stuff, (saving the shipping cost) go out to lunch with my wife and head home. I usually buy 2 or 3 batches of ingrdients (having my recipes all figured out that is ...LOL)making it all worth while. Search the web for the cheapest prices and watch those shipping costs.

More reputable sites will include ice pack to keep your liquid yeast healthy until arrives at home safe and sound. Good luck and remeber when starting out on this adventure we love so much "READ, LISTEN, and ASK plenty of questions". ... I am eternally grateful to the great bunch of guys that set me down the right road ... Pay it forward ...

Paul.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

local biz

Post by andytv »

I too am a fan of homebrew.com. You can buy a membership for $15 that saves you 10% on every order. I use thejm for almost all of my ingredient needs, except I try to support our local shop by given them the orders for bulk grain; I keep about 50lbs of two-row pale base grain on hand, so when I need to brew, I figure out the specialty grain bill, hops, & yeast and place a small order online.