harvested yeast from stout for nut brown ale?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

harvested yeast from stout for nut brown ale?

Post by bredmakr »

Last weekend I brewed an Imperial Stout. O.G. 1.084 (a new high for the BredMakr). Due to an excessive family and friend visitation schedule for the end of this month and early Oct I'm going to stay up all night again this coming saturday to make a nut brown and ipa for general consumption. the imperial is for cold winter nights with the wife. Would there be any reason to think that harvested yeast from the stout should not be used for either the nut brown or the IPA. Intuitively I would think that it would affect the flavor profile and that yeasts should not be shared between beer styles. However, I'm trying to save a few bucks and the WYEAST 1056 culture in the stout is awesome. Don't plan on making another stout for some time and wanted to repitch it while it is still fresh. Any input?
Thanks, Mike
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

yeast might be sleepy...

Post by Gravity Thrills »

The two concerns I would have are:

1) much of the yeast from the high gravity beer may have succumbed to the resulting high alcohol and been killed or fallen dormant.

2) The yeast has started down the artificial selection path toward specialization for high grav fermentation.

Since this is only the second-generation, I doubt the latter issue is a concern. but, after several generations of fermenting high gravity worts, you would definately have a house strain well-suited to such duty, but possibly unsuited to a low grav environment (e.g., not ready for a crash diet).

Then again, if your IPA is up above 1.060, you might be fine.

Cheers,
Jim
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Wyeast site

Post by Freon12 »

Go to the wyeast site and check out all the multiple duty yeasts. I use a german lager for almost everything in the winter except scotch ale.
Heck I might even try it on that! You know, steam-scotch. Might be good.

Cheers
S
Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

From the pockets of a pocket fox...

Post by Monkey Man »

From a style standpoint, the Wyeast 1056 would be good for an IPA. As far as the nut brown goes it depends on what you are looking for. Granted there will be other variables, but everything else being equal. Brewing with the Wyeast 1056 will result in a clean and what I would consider high attenuated brew. It really comes down to this, do you want to accentuate hop or malt flavor? If hops, go with the 1056, if not find something that will attenuate less, or compensate by adding more malt. If you want something that tastes British, i.e. esters and diacetyl then I would recommend something else. I am sorry that I can not recommend something from Wyeast- I brew with White Labs.
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Try Thames Valley

Post by Gravity Thrills »

I use Wyeast and like the Thames Valley strain if I want more esters in the flavor profile. 1028 (London) also gives some fruity notes and accents malt nicely. For whatever reason, I have not been as pleased with the way 1098 (British) has turned out, and I haven't tried British II yet. As far as diacetyl notes, ferment a couple of degrees higher (more esters too) or cheat the diacetyl rest by taking racking off of the sediment early. A dab of diacetyl will do you, though.

What I'm looking for is a yeast strain that gives just a hint of the sulfery notes in draught Bass. Even "Burtonizing" my water has not given me that part of the Bass flavor profile yet.

Cheers,
Jim