I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!!! (And I built a beer garden too!)

What is happening in the world of brewing? Competitions, festivals, seminars, tastings and club events. Personal experiences and victories.

Moderator: slothrob

l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!!! (And I built a beer garden too!)

Post by l48shark »

Hey Hop Heads!

Well, I have been absent for some time now. Since all the bottle washing and brewpot lifting, etc. usually strains my back (albeit mildly), I have not brewed since my Corvette was wiped out back in March. (Gotta watch out for those pickup trucks: http://www.wreckedexotics.com/cars3/cor ... rash57.jpg ) Well, I am happy to say that I am back to brewing and not a minute to spare with Octoberfest coming up. ;) Tonight I brewed my first ESB ever and later this week I plan to make another wheat beer. (The chicks dig it.) Anybody going to be around Northwest Arkansas on 19 OCT?

In other news, I am nearing completion on my beer garden. It is basically a covered patio in my backyard with some lattice for hop vines to climb. (Well, next season, anyway.) I will post some pictures when it is complete if I can.

I have been a regular visitor to the Corvette Forum for a while now trying to fill the void of not driving my car, but fall is upon us and it is time to get back to homebrewing. I will have to check the archive and see what I have missed. I hope everyone had a good summer and I look forward to answering as many questions out here as I can ask. :D

Cheers,
Ford
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Welcome back ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Welcome back Ford, sorry about the ride, hope the only thing that got hurt was your Vette, material things can be replaced ... Glad to have you back ...

Paul.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hey

Post by Freon12 »

Just in time as Mesa is in the basement for a few weeks we could use your help.
I also must report a loss of a more serious nature. My hop rhizomes came in this spring and were doing great until a local lawn care co. treated my yard by mistake! Alllll Dead. All dead.

Welcome back.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

I Am OK, Thanks

Post by l48shark »

Wow, that sucks. But as I understand it, the hops are cut back each season and start over at the root, so it is not like losing a large oak tree, right? Should be easily replaced I would think.

Tell me about obtaining/growing hops as I would like to run some vines up the lattice on my beer garden next year. I also do not know how to brew with fresh hops as I have only used pellets.

Paul - Yes I agree and my Shark is in my garage waiting until I have time to restore her back to looking like this:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/CokeVette.jpg

I was not seriously injured in the accident, but I have had nagging back pains, which kept me out of the brewhouse for a little while. Good to be back, though. Thanks for the welcome.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

The Blasphemy

Post by BillyBock »

Freon, I think you need to file suit against the lawn company for this blasphemous act :-)
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hops

Post by Freon12 »

I ordered the three starters through Grapeandgrainery.com early spring, and as for growing them I couldn't help as my plants only got started. They do come with instructions but no way to test for alpha acids. I suppose you could start by using the average of that species and adjust from there. I had Mt. hood, Saaz, and Cascade that came up in my midwestern climate and soil. I know they must be well drained because they are prone to root rot.

Cheers,
Steve