Christoffel clone?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

mistermono

Christoffel clone?

Post by mistermono »

I'm looking for a Christoffel blonde clone but having no luck. Anyone know of a recipe?
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Christoffel Blonde Clone

Post by wottaguy »

Well....

I did some research and came up with this attempt for a recipe. I have not brewed this....yet! You will probably have to tweak it in a few times to get it right. Please let us know if you brew it and how it comes out.
Here it is:

Recipe: Christoffel Blonde
Brewer: wottaguy
Asst Brewer:
Style: Bohemian Pilsner (double hopped)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 5.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 84.88 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
4.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2.02 %
2.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 0.97 %
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
0.25 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
0.33 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.3 IBU
1.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (2 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4.04 %
2 Pkgs Danish Lager (Wyeast Labs #2042)

Mash Schedule: 5 Gallon Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.87 lb
----------------------------
5 Gallon Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Target Temp
90 min Mash In Add 3.56 gal of water at 166.6 F 152.0 F

Batch Sparge with 180 deg F liquor to get pre-boil volume of 8.5 gallons.

Pre-Boil SG should be near 1.042 with all sugar included.

Ferment for 21 days @ 52 deg F. Raise temp to 65 deg F for last 4 days.

Bottle with 5.5 oz corn sugar or keg and carbonate to 2.8 vols co2.

enjoy!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
mistermono

Post by mistermono »

Thanks - will have to give this one a shot!
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Christoffel Blonde Clone [Thanks]

Post by wottaguy »

mistermono,

YW...but do keep in mind that I have never brewed this recipe or never tried the beer as well. I formulated the recipe from the little info supplied from the brewery. Info like 6% ABV, gives us a start on the starting gravity. Then I did a google search and came up with several reviews from Beeradvocate.com, and based my malt selections, hops and yeast on what was described from those reviews.

If you brew this, please let us know what your results were as I would love to hear your comments about it, and also your feedback of what was missing or different from the actual beer.

Also, I was thinking that if you could not perform a proper temperature controlled fermentation for this lager, you might want to substitute the lager malt out for Malteries Franco-Belgies Pale Ale malt and use WLP051 California Ale V yeast to ferment with. If you do this, pitch the yeast {2 liter starter}, on the cool side at about 62 degF and let it warm up as it goes and hold at 67 deg F. After a week...let it warm up to 70 = 72 deg F for 4 days, then bottle or keg.

I recently brewed a Blonde Ale and used that malt and that yeast and fermentation regime, and the ale came out great! Nice and clean and smooth, and very lager-like too.

I hope it comes close and that you enjoy it, and Welcome to the board too! :)

(_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
slothrob

california V

Post by slothrob »

Yeah, the California V yeast throws a little sulfur that can give an ale a bit of that Lager bite. I think it's a bit citrusy, as well, maybe that's just the sulfur, too. WLP029 is another yeast like that, but with a different ester profile.

My favorite hybrid yeast is the 1007, that is cleaner than both of those, I think. It leaves a particularly dry finish to a beer that is very reminiscent of a lager, I think.

I'm giving the maltier WLP036 a try right now to see how it compares. The out gassing was very clean (and delicious smelling!) until the very end of the fermentation, when it threw just a little sulfur. I'm planning a run of different Alt recipes I've been churning out (thanks to BTP) if I like this first one.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Christoffel blonde..[Yeast]

Post by wottaguy »

Yeah...the 1006 yeast is a good one and I used that for my first german alt i ever brewed, and it came out real nice.

The reason I recommended the Cali V for a substitute is from the beer advocate taste reviews I read, a lot of the reviews indicated that the Christoffel Blonde had a citrus and slightly fruity character to it, and that reminded me of this yeast. I feel that it would be a great substitute for the lager yeast if the brewer could not or was not able to conduct a proper lager fermentation at the correct temperature the lager yeast requires.

You're gonna love that WLP036 for your ALT. I know I do! If you let it condidion for a few weeks, you'll get that slightly peppery flavor in the background on the finish that I found very pleasing. Perhaps some of it was from the hops too. I found that other brewers will try to emulate that flavor with the use of Tettnang hops if they use the 1007 for the yeast. The last time I brewed with it I used Hallertaur and the peppery flavor came thru nicely in the background on the finish. I was very pleased with the results.

I'll be brewing another ALT real soon ( in the next couple of weeks) and am looking forward to using the WLP036 again.

(_)3
Last edited by wottaguy on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
mistermono

Post by mistermono »

Yeah, I'm not set up for lagering yet, so the ale yeast route would probably be my best bet.
slothrob

Re: RE: Christoffel blonde..[Yeast]

Post by slothrob »

wottaguy wrote:Yeah...the 1007 yeast is a good one and I used that for my first german alt i ever brewed, and it came out real nice.
Fixed that for you. :D

Yeah, I get that citrus flavor from Cal V yeast, so it sounds like a good one for this. It's great for an APA, too, for that same reason.

Great to hear how much you like 036! I have a bunch of Alt ideas I want to test. If any of them works out, I'll let you know. I'm playing with a few of the American "Noble" hops, to see if I can get what I'm looking for, as well as the amount of Caramunich and type of roasted malt.

By the way, Spalt is a fantastic hop for an Alt, if you haven't tried it. Smooth bittering, with that spicy flavor and aroma. Yum!
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Re: RE: Christoffel....RE!!

Post by wottaguy »

Thanks for the fix! LOL :D I just noticed that too!

(_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common