Hitting Final Gravity

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Hitting Final Gravity

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

So I just bottled an imperial nut brown last sunday. I was going through some calculations trying to figure out ABV and IBU's when I realized I never hit my calculated final gravity.

Target for my original recipe was around 1.010-1.015. I ended up bottling at 1.023, so it was still pretty high.

I took hydrometer readings 3 days in a row and it stayed at 1.023 the whole time. The kraussen had fully fallen in. I'm assuming the yeast just had enough.

What problems, if any, could this cause? I did notice it had a very high alcohol presence at bottling time. I'm hoping that might settle out in time.

My recipe is as follows if it helps.

1lb Munich
.5lbs Crystal Malt 20L
.5lbs Carmel Malt 40L
.5lbs Chocolate Malt
2.25lbs Dry Extra Light Extract
6.4lbs Liquid Light Extract (late addition)
1oz Saaz (5.8%) 60min
.75oz Mt. Hood (4.8%) 60min
.75oz Arg. Cascade (3.5%) 60min
11oz Maple Syrup (end of boil)
1 tsp. Irish Moss
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Where's the Yeast?

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Some yeasts do not take kindly to higher alcohol levels. While others finish higher. Did you pitch enough? That is usually associated with a yeast starter.
slothrob

FG

Post by slothrob »

The yeast will make a difference one way or the other, but I think 1,020 is a more realistic FG for this recipe.

Firstly, the beer is pretty big with an OG of 1.070 (I assume), so at 70-75% attenuation, which was typical for me when I used extract, we're talking about 1.017-1.021. Maybe higher, depending on the brand.

Also, I know I harp on this, but the more Crystal Malt you use, the more unfermentables you'll add. I've read that each pound decreases your attenuation by 2%, so the 1.5# you used would bring you in line with your 1.023 FG.

What yeast did you use?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

I used Wyeast Scottish Ale 1728. The yeast is a little out of place with this recipe but I used it for it's ability to ferment higher gravity beers.

My OG was 1.081. It sounds like it did it's work though. So originally I was thinking this was going to finish around 9 or 10% abv....now it's looking like around 7.8-8%. Is that right?
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

1728 is a low attenuator at 69-7%. 1.023 FG from 1.080 OG is 71% attenuation, so it looks like the yeast hit right in the middle of it's range.

If you want to make a drier beer from extract, without reducing the amount of Crystal Malt, you need to replace some of the DME with about an equal weight of table sugar or corn sugar. That will replace some of the partially fermentable extract with fully fermentable sugar, giving you a lower FG. Using sugar to lighten the body has been a common technique among British and Belgian breweries.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Thanks for the info everyone.

This brew was actually just a way for me to get rid of a lot of extra ingredients. I just finished building an all grain system, so I won't need to worry about using extracts very often from now on.
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

pictures of the new system would be cool soco.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

No problem. I'm brewing again next weekend. I'll take some pics of it in action.
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB