Hop Rhizomes

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hop Rhizomes

Post by Legman »

Going to try my hand at growing some hops this year. Just pre-ordered my rhizomes from my LHBS. I got Goldings, Williamette, Mt. Hood and Horizon. I can't wait!

Anyone else planting this year???
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I might be replacing my willamette with something else. My Centennial and Cascades do fine but those willamette never really took off. I might go for Fuggles or EKG.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Ive been concidering growing some, but I can't make up my mind which two or three I'd like to invest in.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

TIMBER!

Post by shaggyt »

I cleared out a portion of my back yard to dedicate to growing this year, roughly 15' X 30'. I saved some of the trunks from the trees I cut down to use for growing, tent/teepee style set up.

I'm hoping to get several different varieties - the 3 C's, possibly Chinook, Newport or some other high alphas. I have a local source that may have some clones developed enough to plant. If not, I'll be ordering online. Either way, I'll have something planted.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

My advice for growing hops would be to only plant aroma/flavoring hops as you will not be sure of the Alpha acid content. You don't want to screw up 5, 10 or more gallons of beer because your IBU's are way off.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Planting woes

Post by Legman »

I started getting my growing plot ready last fall. I had planned on putting it right on the property line between my house and the neighbors. I cleared the ground and put poles into concrete. Just as I got the poles set, my neighbor comes home and starts raising holly hell with me, claiming I was encroaching onto his property. He was being a real jackass about the whole thing. So after about 2 hours of us yelling at each other, I pulled up the poles for the sake of argument. (At this point he's figured that he's won the battle.)

So, about a week later I paid to have a property survey. And sure enough, I was about 6 inches onto his property. But come to find out, his privacy fence was almost 3 feet onto my property. So...........I made him move his entire fence! I got the last laugh, jackass! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Planting woes

Post by bfabre »

That goes to show some battles should not be considered. I would like to here what his wife said after the ordeal....:wink:
I hope you will not have a lot of tension between each other. Feuding neighbors can be stressful. Invite him over for a beer to smooth things over and make him think you might care even if you don't.
Legman-1
Neighbor-0
"B"
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Barter with beer

Post by Legman »

I think that's out of the question at this point. Every time I see her, she flips us off or tells us to go !@#$ off. I haven't ran into him since. But I'm sure he'll be just as nice about it.
In the beginning they refused to move the fence. So I had to get an attorney to handle it. They were forced to move the fence or it was going to be removed. They didn't know my wife is a paralegal for a very large law firm. And the best thing of it all........the only payment the attorney would take was home brew! I hooked him up with as much beer as he wanted.
:lol:
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bfabre »

Beer the other currency
"B"
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I would make that
Legman +2
Neighbor -1
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Planting woes

Post by billvelek »

Legman wrote:snip ... about a week later I paid to have a property survey ... snip
It's a shame that you couldn't find the iron pins that are usually driven into the ground from the last survey; it is illegal to move or remove them where I live. Mine are still marking my corners since buying my house almost 20 years ago. All I need to do is stretch a string real tight between them to see my property line.

Anyway, in case some of you in this thread have missed my frequent posts and my signature block about 'Grow-Hops', we now have 2,575 members, and the group is almost exclusively about growing hops (just a tad bit of discussion about growing barley and brewing herbs). See http://www.tinyurl.com/29zr8r

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Property pins

Post by Legman »

Yes, it is the same here. It is illegal to remove property pins. But what he had done, right when I was buying my house a few years ago, he bent the pins over and covered them up. The surveyors found the pins with a metal detector. He was intentionally trying to take over some of my property and he was arguing with me about there never being one there at all. Unknown to me at the time, we were standing right on top of one of the pins when he was telling me this.
He thought that if you build something on someones property and it stayed there for 7 years, he could acquire that property. Some states that's true, but here in NC, it's 20 years. Ooops.
So really, I'm kinda glad it all happened. I wouldn't have know what he was up to.
.......and he said I was being un-neighborly. :o
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Well at least you won't have to see them when your hops are all grown up 20' in the air. Cheap, delicious privacy fence.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
mikfir

Re: Property pins

Post by mikfir »

Legman wrote:Yes, it is the same here. It is illegal to remove property pins. But what he had done, right when I was buying my house a few years ago, he bent the pins over and covered them up. The surveyors found the pins with a metal detector. He was intentionally trying to take over some of my property and he was arguing with me about there never being one there at all. Unknown to me at the time, we were standing right on top of one of the pins when he was telling me this.
He thought that if you build something on someones property and it stayed there for 7 years, he could acquire that property. Some states that's true, but here in NC, it's 20 years. Ooops.
So really, I'm kinda glad it all happened. I wouldn't have know what he was up to.
.......and he said I was being un-neighborly. :o
That's called adverse possession and it only applies to unoccupied land.
Mike
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: Property pins

Post by Legman »

mikfir wrote:
That's called adverse possession and it only applies to unoccupied land.
Yes that is called adverse possession, but it does not apply to just unoccupied land. Here in NC if you build something on someone's land, you can claim that part of the property in 20 years or 7 years if they have not paid their property taxes.