KC double chocolate stout

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

thebirdman
Light Lager
Light Lager

KC double chocolate stout

Post by thebirdman »

have 2 questions on Issue's

1-- Have a wyeast farmhouse ale i'd like to substitute

2 -- Is there a calculator to replace the 8lb's pale extract to a full grain equivilent ?
Have enough extract to do, but find 8lb's on a 10 gallon batch plus the extra sugars and grain is going to blow the Air-locks sky high, once the yeast gets up and running........

With what is suppossed to be put in this for sugar's..it only calling a 1.051
OG...I see it more around 1.07+
Has anyone tried? and what were the results...
tkx
randy
P4 dual core duo, 4gb 800mhz ram, nvida 8600gt
500/100 gb sata....sata d/l dvd
200 gb ide....d/l ide dvd. 19" benq flat panel
wizzardofboz

Post by wizzardofboz »

1lb grain = 0.75lb LME = 0.6lb DME

there's a table here:
http://www.allaboutbeer.com/homebrew/extract.html
werd.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: KC double chocolate stout

Post by billvelek »

thebirdman wrote:snip ... 2 -- Is there a calculator to replace the 8lb's pale extract to a full grain equivilent ? Have enough extract to do, but find 8lb's on a 10 gallon batch plus the extra sugars and grain is going to blow the Air-locks sky high, once the yeast gets up and running........ snip
What's the difference if it's commercially made extract or extract that you've made yourself from an all grain mash? ... or course, depending on your mash schedule, you could have either more or fewer fermentables versus dextrins in your extract versus commercial, but I wouldn't think that that would be enough of a reason to worry about an significantly more active fermentation. At any rate, I think a blow-off tube is usually a good idea anyway, so you still have that option which would allow you to use your extract.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
thebirdman
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: KC double chocolate stout

Post by thebirdman »

Well used 6lb of the dry....OG actually ended up lower than expected @ 1.048
The farmhouse ale "wish they would add it to the database along with canadian 2-row" Is fermatating very slowly... Its active but on a slow gradual.
Going to leave it another 5-7 days till FG drops lower..@ 1.017 looking for 1.011.

tkx for the conversion link...gonna help alot
P4 dual core duo, 4gb 800mhz ram, nvida 8600gt
500/100 gb sata....sata d/l dvd
200 gb ide....d/l ide dvd. 19" benq flat panel