Root Beer recipe?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Root Beer recipe?

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Now, I know most of us brew beer, but I'm hoping someone on here brews rootbeer also. My mother is a huge rootbeer fan, and I'd like to make her a keg of it for her birthday party coming up. I've used the classic recipe of 1cup sugar, water, yeast, and extract. She's not a huge fan of this because of

A. the yeasty off flavors, and
B. she actually claims to taste the .25% alcohol.
C. The flavor doesn't have as much "zing" as she likes

She's not a drinker, so I'd like to keg this and avoid using yeast.

So...I'm looking for a different recipes, maybe some secret ingredients that make it better than the "science project" above. I can't see to find anything other than that basic recipe on the internet. Any input?
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

no secret with mine. Sprecher syrup (1 gal jug), add 4 gals water, force carbs to about 4 volumes.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by yaturaz »

I have been looking for a good recipe myself. I'll give that a try.

How do you do it from scratch? Like the all grain of rootbeer. :P
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

I don't think there is an "all-grain" version that's attainable. I've heard some companies mix different barks together like Acacia and cherry tree. The problem is that the FDA banned sassafras, so good luck getting ahold of it.
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
Grizz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Grizz »

I was doing some looking into a scratch root beer recipe a while ago and found this one that sounded good.

http://www.greydragon.org/library/brewi ... _beer.html

and this is an other one one that seems ok.

http://forevermore.net/rants/Food-Rants ... ecipe.html

I can not say that I have tried any of them out yet. Maybe if you have some luck you can share the final recipe with us. Good Luck
Beer is to Men as Water is to Fish!
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

That second link looked pretty good. If I can find sassafras root anywhere around town I'll be brewing a keg of that. I'll post any details when I'm finished.
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
Grizz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Grizz »

Well see what happens when you have to wait for people that are no on time. Suthrncomfrt I was waiting for a repair guy this morning and found a site for herds that has every thing you needed for you root beer. check out this link.

http://www.starwest-botanicals.com/

Just it search for what you need. I does have the sarsparilla root and sassafras root bark and tons of out things.

Good Luck
Beer is to Men as Water is to Fish!