12oz. vs. 22oz. Whats the deal? Same beer same batch but dif

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

twotimes

12oz. vs. 22oz. Whats the deal? Same beer same batch but dif

Post by twotimes »

So I'm looking for ideas. I brewed this wonderful Pumpkin Porter. It has been bottled now for about a month. I always bottle in 22oz. Bottles. I love bombers. I feel they always have a better taste to them. But I'm puzzled on this one. I split this batch up 1/2 22's, 1/2 12's or so. (It's easier to give 6packs for the holidays.) Well my 22's are amazing, exactly what I wanted, Great head,(he he he) good carbonation, amazing taste. I could not be happier, or more addicted to it. The 12's however are lacking head, flavor is kind of syrupie, and flat. Batch was bottled at the same time, nothing was done to make me think this would happen. Any ideas?
Last edited by twotimes on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

My only thought is that maybe the priming sugar didn't get stirred into the batch fully? Since your beer sounds like it's green, I would think you'd be able to add carbonation drops to the 12oz's and re-cap them.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe your 12oz bottles weren't completely sanitized? I would think even if they weren't sanitized though, you would still have carbonated beer.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
twotimes

Post by twotimes »

22's and 12's were all sanitized the same. I think it might have something to do with the head space in the 12's but not sure. 22's and 12's taste all the same so I think the sugar was mixed well enough. Carbonation drops is an idea, I'll look into that. But still I still want to figure out why 12's and 22's are so dif. For my next batch of Irish red which I want to put into 12's
Hoppyness

Post by Hoppyness »

Patience is your friend here. RDWHAHB and put the 12 ouncers away for a rainy day. I bet when you come back to them, you will find them just as tasty as your 22 ouncers.
twotimes

Good Point. Waiting it out.

Post by twotimes »

Great point, thank you. I guess the amount of space must slow the time it takes to finish.
Primary 1: Hoppy, Hoppy IPA
Primary 2: Orange Blossom Special Blond
Primary 3: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Drinking: IPA, Pumpkin Porter,Irish Honey Red,Maple Oatmeal Stout,Double Hop-head IPA