problems with fermentation.

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

problems with fermentation.

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

So, I'm somewhat new to brewing,(I just brewed my fifth batch) and I've never had problems before with my yeast starting up, but now I am.

I followed a clone recipe for warthog cream ale, and in the recipe, it said to use a yeast starter. I used Wyeast Thames Valley yeast which I didn't think I'd need to make a starter with. I've used Wyeast in all my other batches and never had a problem. Also, this is the lowest gravity beer I've made to date so that was another indication to me it shouldn't need a starter.

I pitched yesterday, so it's been just under 24 hours, but I'm getting worried as all my other batches have started in under 12 hours.

Should I pitch more yeast, or just wait another day to see what happens?

Here's the recipe:

1.5lbs Light Dried Malt Extract
3.3lbs Liquid Light Malt Extract (late addition - 15 min.)
1.5lbs Two-Row pale malt
0.5lbs Crystal Malt (40L)
2 AAU Cascade Hops (60 Min.)
4 AAU East Kent Goldings (5 Min.)
1 tsp. Irish Moss (15 Min.)
Wyeast 1275 (Thames Valley Ale) (1.25qt. starter)

The original gravity was only 1.045, so I just assumed I didn't need a starter.

Any help would be great.
slothrob

Starters

Post by slothrob »

A pack of liquid yeast contains about 1/2 the optimum cell number for an average gravity beer, but sufficient yeast as long as the yeast is healthy. 24 hours or more isn't an unusual lag for a beer made without a starter. I'd give it some more time and cross my fingers. As you're learning, though, a starter is never a bad idea.

The reason that the recipe may have specified a starter is that a Cream Ale usually has a very clean flavor as far as yeast byproducts. Pitching a healthy starter will minimize these flavors. However, Thames yeast would be an odd choice for a Cream Ale with a typical flavor profile.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

New yeast

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

After having no response to this as fast as I had hoped, I started to panic.

I ended up re-hydrating 2 packs of dry yeast and pitching them last night.

Now, this morning, I'm seeing bubbles in the airlock, but only once about every minute and a half. I'm hoping this will pick up before the 24 hour mark, but I'm not sure.

Will this hurt my beer since the new yeast is a different kind of yeast?
slothrob

dry yeastr

Post by slothrob »

A different yeast will make the beer different. Depending on the dry yeast you chose, it could make the beer better or worse.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP