Rubbermaid cooler

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

donshizzles
Light Lager
Light Lager

Rubbermaid cooler

Post by donshizzles »

I've been looking to buy a 10gal Rubbermaid coller to build my lauter tun but so far I can't find them for under $60. All of the references I read said they got theirs around $30. Any ideas where to find one cheaper than $50-$70?

Since I will be making 5gal batches I will need a 10gal cooler as opposed to a 5gal cooler I assume?
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: Rubbermaid cooler

Post by Legman »

Home Depot has them. They have 5 gal. for about $20 and the 10 gal. for about $40.
I purchased a 7 gal. from Walmart Online for $37. They also have the 5 gal. in store for $20.

You don't need a 10 gal. for making 5 gal. batches, unless your doing high gravity beers. I think I read the 5 gal. cooler will hold 12-14 pounds of grain, but it'll be slap full. The 10 gallon cooler is really big, maybe to big unless your doing larger batches. You may loose too much heat from the extra space.

That's why I went with the 7 gallon cooler. It gives me enough room to do all my regular gravity beers and an occasional higher gravity beer.
donshizzles
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by donshizzles »

Outstanding. As far as the boiling pot, would a 35qt pot be large enough when doing 5gal batches?
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

Yes. That's big enough to do full boils in.
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bfabre »

As far as the boiling pot, would a 35qt pot be large enough when doing 5gal batches?
Nice size pot I'm still stuck with a 5 gal (20qt). Now that I'm all graining I invested in a converted keg for the boil and my old 5 gal pot is now my hot liquor tank.
"B"
beernut

Post by beernut »

I bought a rubbermaid cooler and have done around 10 brews with it. Unfortunately the inner lining is cracking around the tap and I need to address this problem immediatly before any further damage. It appears this is the weakest point of the cooler.

Cheers
dferg

Post by dferg »

I was having trouble finding any under $50 as well. My local Lowes does not carry them in the winter. Ordered 2 off aceharrdware.com. Free site to store shipping as well if you have one close by.
dFerg
dferg

Post by dferg »

Forgot to mention $42 for the 10 gallon - not a great price but better than I could find online and the shipping was free
dFerg
dferg

Post by dferg »

Forgot to mention $42 for the 10 gallon - not a great price but better than I could find online and the shipping was free
dFerg