[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - Too much extract?

Too much extract?

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Too much extract?

Postby Suthrncomfrt1884 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:06 am

Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Chocolate and Conditioning

Postby Legman » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:22 am

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

stout recipe

Postby Suthrncomfrt1884 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:49 pm

Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Chocolate and Conditioning

Postby bfabre » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:41 pm

"B"
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Postby Suthrncomfrt1884 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:46 pm

Well, after a few months of waiting, I think this has finally started to come into it's own.

As bfabre said, it tasted green before now.

I still don't think it's completely done, so I'll wait another month and check it out then. Right now it's a lot less raspberry flavor and a little more "stouty" like I was hoping. Still no chocolate, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make knowing it has turned out drinkable.

Also...can someone evaluate my recipe for me and let me know what they think the IBU's and ABV are?

When I calculated everything out, I was only coming out around 5%. Now, when I use recipe calculator on here, it's all over the board. Depending on what classification I pick (Sweet stout, Foreign Extra, etc.) the alcohol is anywhere from 6.5%-7.6%. I'm just wondering what it really is.

The O.G. was 1.070, and the F.G. was 1.013
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

%ABV and IBUs

Postby slothrob » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:09 pm

It's about 7.4% ABV.

I'd need to know how much volume you boiled and if you added all the extract at the beginning to estimate the IBUs.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Boil and Extract

Postby Suthrncomfrt1884 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:46 am

I boiled 3 gallons. Extract was added at beginning.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

IBUs

Postby slothrob » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:09 pm

I calculate about 30 IBUs using the Rager utilization algorithm.

Rager is often thought to be a good choice for determining hop utilization during a partial volume boil. For reference, other algorithms give anywhere from 17 to 40 IBUs.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Postby Suthrncomfrt1884 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:16 pm

thanks for the info.
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Too much extract?

Postby Addrienne » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:22 pm

I used to brew liquors - and I picked up this tidbit of info...

Most fruit flavors will "dim" as you age the liquor(fruit sugars oxidizing and/or fermenting). 1 year seems to be the falloff point, especially for berries. So if it still tastes too strong - stick it in the back of the closet and wait, test every 2 mos. Eventually it will even out. Of you'll run out of beer to test, which also removes the problem. :D
Addrienne
Addrienne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Return to Brewing Problems, Emergencies, Help!