Honey Do's and Dont's How to Use

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

LoveMyBeer

Post by LoveMyBeer »

I am new to this honey thing and trying to figure out when to add the honey (flame out or when fermentaion is exhausted). What about pasterizing the Honey and adding to the wort at flame out. I am worried about the nasties at flame out time. What does evreyone else do. HELP

Thank You
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bfabre »

I put it in at flame out.
"B"
LoveMyBeer

Post by LoveMyBeer »

At flame out are you still getting full pasterization or still have a risk of contamination to the wort?
chils
Light Lager
Light Lager

Honey de-bugging

Post by chils »

I add at flameout also.I believe any temp. over 170F is fine.Thats how everyone pasturizes their fruit so as not to cause pectin haze issues in the finished beer.Just keep in mind that honey doesn't always give much of a honey flavor in the finished beer.I've added up to 2lbs. and all it did for me is add alcohol and dry (low final gravity) the beer out.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Forgot mine till the carboy

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I had a NB kit and forgot the pound of honey. I placed the container in a pan of water and brought it up to boiling temp for 15 minutes and poured it into the carboy. Like everyone has said, really didn't tast it in the final product.
krussader
Light Lager
Light Lager

Honey Malt!

Post by krussader »

If you are really looking for a honey taste in the final product, replace your base malt with about a pound of honey malt in the original boil, if you are doing a five or six gallon batch. It gives a sweet slightly nutty flavour. It is excellent in light ales. Also what you can do is to use honey as the primer. Either of these should help you get more of a honey taste than just honey alone in the primary fermentation. I wouldn't worry too much about pasteurizing it for the primer but mixing it with a cup of boiling water (and then letting cool a bit before you add it to the mix) couldn't hurt.
It may be a bit harder to find honey malt depending where you are since it is a Canadian grown malt. I also find that clover honey works well for priming, but be careful not to add too much because the last batch I used it for turned into two cases of gushers.
Good luck!