Grain Question

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

billd220
Light Lager
Light Lager

Grain Question

Post by billd220 »

Ok...so I found this recipe that I'd like to try out.

Its calling for 7 lbs of Briess Pil's 10-14L

That is just under 50% of the grain.

The problem is can't figure out what Briess Pil's is. Is it short for Carapils? The Briess website talks about using Carapils in only about 5% of your grain. Is it a Pilsen malt? The Briess website says that their pilsen malt is 1.0 L Is it just a 2 row or something? I can't find it in the Midwest Brewing catalog so I don't know what to buy.

Someone please help me with this terminology.

Thanks
slothrob

Pilsner Malt

Post by slothrob »

They must mean Pilsner Malt (a 2-row base malt) at those quantities, certainly not Carapils. Pilsner is a light colored and mildly flavoured malt, that is sometimes described as "bready" and is good for producing a golden colored beer.

Sticking with Midwest, you could go with the Rahr, if you want to go with and an American maltster. Weyermann makes excellent malts, and you wouldn't go wrong with their Pilsner Malt. I've heard good things about the Durst Turbo Pils, too.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billd220
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by billd220 »

Thanks, its a Blue Moon clone recipe.

in addition to the 7 lbs of "Pils" it has 7 lbs of wheat....and yes it would definitely be a nice golden color.

Thanks for the help.