Where do I put priming sugar in BTP

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
iXanadu

Where do I put priming sugar in BTP

Post by iXanadu »

I'm not sure where I put priming sugar in BTP. I put it in Adjunct but the stage looks wrong.
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

In the ingredients list there's an arrow to the right of the indicated stage. Clicking on the arrow will display a menu and allow you change the stage.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

"Stages" isn't working right

Post by billvelek »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:In the ingredients list there's an arrow to the right of the indicated stage. Clicking on the arrow will display a menu and allow you change the stage.
Actually, I've never bothered to add my primer to my ingredients list, so I've never really tested it or noticed anything about it before this. But now that you've mentioned it, I just checked and that function does not appear to be working correctly for me (my system configuration listed in my sig block).

First, since I usually just use corn sugar or table sugar to prime, I selected them and the default setting for the "Stage" for each of them when added is "Mash", which seems rather odd to begin with, and then when attempting to change it, the only option available on the drop-down menu is "Boil (Kettle)", so "Finish (Bottle)" is NOT available. Now, if I happen to select "Boil", the 'Stage' will change to that, but then I can't change it back again (such as if I changed it by mistake).

Second, I also attempted the above using DME as a primer, and I selected several varieties as an experiment. The difference is that the default setting for the "Stage" for each of them when added is already "Boil (Kettle)", and that is the only option available on the drop-down menu, so it can't be set to "Finish (Bottle)".

As I said, I don't really bother listing the primer in my recipe anyway, although I realize that it will _slightly_ affect the recipe ... as will the addition of water for the primer, too, which has a diluting effect. But it doesn't look like BTP is working in that area, for those who are concerned with it.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

sugar addition

Post by slothrob »

Same problem with the mac version.
I don't know why, but it never occurred to me to put the priming sugar in as an ingredient before. I guess because I'd already entered it in the carbonation field.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Yeah, I see what you mean Bill and slothrob. I apologize for being too brief in my earlier post. The stages that can be selected seem to be limited by the typical use of the ingredient. For example, grains are limited to Mash or Steep since it is unlikely that they would be used at another step in the brewing process. Hops, on the other hand, can be added at any stage and the menu allows selecting any stage. It also appears that items in the "Special" database can be added at any stage, so that may be the best place for corn sugar or DME if they are to be used as a priming agent for bottling. Personally, I don't use either as I force carbonate and have never had them in an ingredients list.

This is how the stages menu works on my PC, at least. Sorry for the confusion and I hope this helps to clear things up a bit.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
iXanadu

Post by iXanadu »

Thanks all for the response.

I'm a beginning brewer and even newer to BTP. I haven't figured out stages or schedules yet, and am just trying to get my few kit-recipes on the system. I was a little disappointed that the sw didn't have a *diary* of sorts. I'll use a an old fashioned (but maybe more fun) bound paper diary for now.

For me the point in entering the priming sugar in my recipe was to generate a complete shopping list for later.

Again, thanks for all the help. I'll chock it up for now as: BTP doesn't accommodate carbonization ingredients.

Bob
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: sugar addition

Post by billvelek »

slothrob wrote:Same problem with the mac version.
I don't know why, but it never occurred to me to put the priming sugar in as an ingredient before. I guess because I'd already entered it in the carbonation field.
Well, besides that, as it works right now it would throw off the recipe a bit in that the O.G. and F.G. in the BTP analysis will be computed as though the primer were added prior to fermentation. On the other hand, if we could select 'Finish (Bottle)' as the stage, I would presume that BTP would not include it when calculating O.G. and F.G. I don't know whether it ought to be included in the percentage of alcohol for the final analysis.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Things to come in BTP

Post by billvelek »

iXanadu wrote:Thanks all for the response.

I'm a beginning brewer and even newer to BTP. I haven't figured out stages or schedules yet, and am just trying to get my few kit-recipes on the system. I was a little disappointed that the sw didn't have a *diary* of sorts. I'll use a an old fashioned (but maybe more fun) bound paper diary for now.

For me the point in entering the priming sugar in my recipe was to generate a complete shopping list for later.

Again, thanks for all the help. I'll chock it up for now as: BTP doesn't accommodate carbonization ingredients.

Bob
Hi, Bob, and welcome to the group. All I can say is that BTP is a powerful program that has come a long way since its release almost two years ago when I purchased it and major vital functions, even basic ones like "save", where not functioning correctly or fully. I and many others have donated a lot of our time trying to help this along, and we've made many good suggestions which have not been implemented yet. If my memory serves me correctly, one was for BTP to have some sort of a brew-day report or diary of sorts, and I _think_ that we might have been told somewhere long ago that this might be an eventual feature. So all I can say is to hang in there, be patient, and use the software which is very powerful and functional now, and make do with things like either the 'Notes' section for each recipe, or start a running journal using something like Notepad or Wordpad or whatever.

As for the shopping list, I understand what you want but you'll just need to remember to add that manually. As it is, I use regular table sugar most of the time, so I don't keep inventory of that because we always have plenty and a five pound bag is just minutes away in any grocery store.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: sugar addition

Post by jeff »

billvelek wrote:On the other hand, if we could select 'Finish (Bottle)' as the stage, I would presume that BTP would not include it when calculating O.G. and F.G.
That seems logical. I'll give it some thought.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Re: Things to come in BTP

Post by slothrob »

billvelek wrote: I use regular table sugar most of the time, so I don't keep inventory of that because we always have plenty and a five pound bag is just minutes away in any grocery store.
What he said.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP