[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - How do I lower the calorie content?

How do I lower the calorie content?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

How do I lower the calorie content?

Postby yaturaz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:31 am

I searched some on google and I can't seem to find out "how" they do it.

An average 12-ounce serving of a "domestic-style" beer contains about 14 grams of ethanol and 11 grams of carbohydrate. In caloric terms this equates to 98 kcals from ethanol and 44 kcals from the carbohydrate, for a total of 142 kcals. The most effective methods of making lower calorie beer involve reducing the alcohol content, residual carbohydrate or, most commonly, a combination of both.

I would like to keep the highest alcohol% as possible and just remove the carbs.
yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

ahhh found it

Postby yaturaz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:41 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beano_(dietary_supplement)
click on the (dietary_supplement) one
I'll leave this up for anyone that wants to know :)
yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: How do I lower the calorie content?

Postby billvelek » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Postby yaturaz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:50 am

yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

There is one way that you can regulate the Beano

Postby billvelek » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:58 am

Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

ß-glucanase rest

Postby slothrob » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:02 pm

A ß-glucanase rest, around 115°F at the beginning of the the mash, should accomplish the same thing as the bean-o, but probably more reliably. If you wanted to try adding bean-o to the mash, I imagine 115°F would be about the optimal temperature.

One of the big problems associated with adding bean-o to the beer after the boil is that it continues to work slowly at room temperature. This can lead to a constant generation of fermentable sugars after bottling. This can cause bottle bombs.

The biggest secret is probably using mostly-to-only base malt and mashing at ~140°F for about 90-120 minutes (it will take longer to break down all the starches at a lower temperature). Maybe bump up to 155°F or so, for about 15' at the end, to make sure all the starch is broken down.

This will tend to make a thin, tasteless beer, though. I prefer to make low calorie beers by making low OG beers that are packed with flavorful grains, but that's me. Having too little alcohol never seems to be my problem. :?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Return to General