Green Hops:

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

bwbrewco

Green Hops:

Post by bwbrewco »

Has anyone here brewed with green hops right off the vine? if so what was your impression of flavor etc.. Sierra Nevada makes one in the fall called Harvest ale which has an excellent hop flavor ! Thanks, Tom
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Fresh Hops

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I haven't done it personnally but I have read quite a bunch of people have. They all report grassy notes. It maybe what you are looking for but I think it is more of a fad than something routinely done. Give it a try, you might like it.
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Wet Hopping?

Post by shaggyt »

Is this different from Wet Hopping? I recently was given some fresh hops and expect more in the future...to dry or not to dry?

If not to dry, then at what point in the process would be best to use them? In the boil or dry hop? Both?

I would think the longer in the boil as a "green" hop, the increase the grassiness (sp?)?
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Yes, that is 'wet' hopping.

Post by billvelek »

I grow my own hops and last year I made a couple of harvest beers -- 'wet' hopped -- which I added only as flavor and aroma additions to the boil. I did not notice any particularly 'grassy' notes, but might have if I added them as bittering hops. On the other hand, I didn't think that -- as 'harvest' beers -- the wet hopping made them all that special, either. I'll probably brew some again this year when I harvest so that I can experiment some more, but also because it saves me the trouble of drying and packaging those hops, too. I did not try 'dry hopping' with 'wet' hops, mainly because I rarely ever bother to dry hop. Maybe I should give it a try this year with a batch or two.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768