Barley Crusher

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Barley Crusher

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Ordered my last weekend but won't be here till next Monday. I just wanted to let other brewers out there know that should you decide to order a BC and pay with PayPal, ensure that you get an e-mail confirmation from the company within 24hrs. It seems that PayPal doesn't always notify when payment is made. I made the mistake of waiting to Wednesday night before sending an e-mail to the company. They did get back with me Thursday and it has been shipped but too late for a brew this weekend. :cry:
I have been using my brothers Philmil but have read a lot of good things about the BC and wanted my OWN mill.
slothrob

BC

Post by slothrob »

Mine has performed brilliantly. I'm a minimalist when it comes to brewing equipment, but this one I wouldn't do without.

The only issue I've had is that the adjustment knobs have rusted, obscuring the setting marks. This is minor and hasn't affected it's performance at all, but does make on-the-fly adjustments more difficult. No other parts have rusted, so I guess this was the only part they couldn't source in stainless steel.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Inital Assessment of BC

Brewed today so I milled the grain last night. The base pins fit inside the bucket fine but when I put on the crank handle, it wouldn't turn all the way around as it hit the side of the bucket so I put one of the rubber pins out side the bucket which worked in a pinch. Then it came time to run the grain. I ended up grinding a little over a pound before I had enough and got my drill to finish the job. :lol:
I ran it at factory settings for both the wheat and barley. The crush looked finer than my brother's Philmil but the husks remained more intact. I haven't taken a gravity reading yet to check the efficiency but am expecting 80%.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

BC Test Finshed

Got 78% efficiency from the factory setting. That's running both wheat and barley though it. I will be leaving it where it is at until I finish my next batch of all barley and compare the results. I was thinking about reversing the mill on the platform so that my drill will have more sitting room. Any thought?