Comments to this recipe Sam Adams Summer Ale Clone.

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

DTS78KC
Light Lager
Light Lager

Comments to this recipe Sam Adams Summer Ale Clone.

Post by DTS78KC »

5# White Wheat Malt
4.5# Belgium Pils
1/4# Cara Pils
1/4# Tortiffied Wheat

1oz Haullertau Mittelfruh Hops ?? or Tettnanger
1oz Lemon Zest (fresh)
1/2oz Grains of Paradise (crushed)

Wyeast 3944 Belgium Wit
(now it says its an Am. Wheat should I change the yeast strand?)

Mash
148 60mins
158 15mins
165 5mins

Boil
40mins with 1/2 the hops
20mins with 1/4 hops and 1/2oz lemon zest and 1/4 oz Grains of Paradise
5mins with 1/4 hops and 1/2oz lemon zest and 1/4 oz GoP

Comments?
Thanks in advance.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime- Nuco Gordo
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Comments to this recipe Sam Adams Summer Ale Clone.

Post by wottaguy »

Hi DTS78KC,

Looks like a nice recipe. I feel that you should probably add a protien rest at about 125 degF for 15 or 20 minutes or so.

Also I have used Grains of Paradise before and find them to be a very strong and peppery flavor. You may want to try a 1/4 ounce instead of the 1/2 ounce.

Either yeast would be great to use, but I think I would use the American Wheat yeast as you are cloning an American beer.

Hopping schedule looks good, but typically the hops are added at one time for 60 minutes. But hey...it's your beer..!

Please let us know how it comes out.

Good Luck!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
DTS78KC
Light Lager
Light Lager

RE:

Post by DTS78KC »

Thanks for the comments, I think adding the hops all at once will be a good choice. Also thanks for the heads up on the Grains of Paradise this will be the first time using them so that will help out alot.

One more questions if I use fully modified malts will I still need a protein rest?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime- Nuco Gordo
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re re::

Post by wottaguy »

With the amount of wheat in the recipe, I would go with some sort of protien rest. Lately my protein rests have been for 20 minutes at around 125 degF. Do remember that the temperature can range fro, 119 to 130 degF for any protien rest. I have recently read that using the mid to upper temps of this range yields better results although I can not prove it.

But, if you're not able to perform a protien rest, a single infusion mash using Flaked Wheat would be advisable.

I'm brewing a Wit this Sat and here's what i have planned for my mash sched: (5 gallon batch sparge)

1) Dough in to Protien Rest temp of 125 DegF
2) Decoction: Pull 2 gallons of thick mash and slowly heat through all temperature ranges to obtain a boil in 20 minutes. Boil for 10 minutes then return to mash and stir in completely to obtain sac temp of 154 degF. Let rest for 60 minutes.
3) After conversion, add 2 gallons of boiling or just boiling water and stil in well to reach mash out temp of 168 degF. Let rest for 10 minutes.

Run off into kettle.

Add 3 gallons of 190 degF water, stir well, let sit for 15 minutes, then run-off.
Repeat 1 more time.

Measure pre-boil gravity, adjust if necessary,
Procede with boil program.
Finished!

Hope this helps!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale