[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - Dry Hopping - thoughts

Dry Hopping - thoughts

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Dry Hopping - thoughts

Postby jimcraig » Tue May 20, 2008 5:48 pm

jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

dry hopping

Postby Legman » Tue May 20, 2008 7:33 pm

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

dry hopping

Postby bfabre » Tue May 20, 2008 11:32 pm

"B"
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Postby jimcraig » Wed May 21, 2008 1:21 pm

jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby carlosm » Thu May 22, 2008 4:33 pm

carlosm

Dry Hopping

Postby brewmeisterintng » Fri May 23, 2008 7:23 am

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Postby jimcraig » Fri May 23, 2008 5:24 pm

so I used 1oz of Willamette whole leaf hops. just dumped them in a sterile funnel and pushed them in using a sterile chopstick. well after about 24 hours my bubbling came to a crawl . I checked the gravity and its .012. right about where it should be giving me a ABV of 5.6% as it sits right now. the beer really cleared up too. It was cloudy and caramel looking and now it looks pretty clean and nice dark brown/amber color.

now the fun part is getting all those hops out after I rack and bottle. will report back on that adventure.
jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Dry Hopping

Postby bfabre » Fri May 23, 2008 8:08 pm

I am glad everything is working out for you. The easiest step is next, tasting. Let us know.
"B"
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Postby jimcraig » Fri May 23, 2008 9:58 pm

that step follows 1 of the hardest, waiting.
jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby hansolo » Mon May 26, 2008 11:44 pm

T-shirts and more for homebrewers and people with a sense of humor
hansolo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Postby jimcraig » Tue May 27, 2008 12:01 am

yeah I think I am going to give the hop bag a shot next time, will see how bad it is to get them out of there without the bag first.

here is a pic of my dry hopping in action. 1oz of Whole leaf Willamette. been dry hopping for about 5 days now I think, the gravity is all but done and when taking a ready yesterday it was at 87%

jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby kangarool » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:41 pm

I have never dry hopped before, and am ready to add some to primary (I don't rack to secondary). I have some Cascade pellets I want to add to a Sierra Nevada Pale i'm doing.

Should I just chuck them in? Or should I put them in a sterile bag? thanks!
kangarool

Just chuck, then bag your tube!

Postby shaggyt » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:36 am

kangarool, I'd just chuck if I were you. I usually dry hop with whole leaf in my secondary, then use a sanitized hop sack tied to the submerged end of my racking tube to filter the hops out...works awesome.
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Postby BurninBrewer » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:11 pm

BurninBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby jimcraig » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:00 pm

just added 2oz Amarillo Whole Hops to a IPA I have fermenting.

the 1st go around went smoothly for me, whole hops directly into the beer. I lost a little beer that was trapped in the hops but all in all it went well and they came out easy.

I am hesitant to use pellets, do they breatk up? If so then you have to have some hops "grains" that transfer out in the beer when you rack to bottle?

I dont filter my beer but work pretty hard to get it clear. I dont have much trub in the bottle of my bottles, when I did I keg now. But I would think pellets would add to the cloudiness and trub in the finished product?
jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Next

Return to General