Wit Beer

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Wit Beer

Post by Raydownunder »

Hi Guys

I have a white lab wit beer yeast and I thought I better use it, but I need some help if possible.
1. I brewed a wit some time ago and it was very clear and entered it in Australia's biggest competition and the results were its a great lager, not to style.
2. This next one I feel I must change the wheat malt.
3. What wheat do I use as wheat malt will generate a clear beer. If I use raw wheat do I mash it as normal or do I need to do a step mash.
4. If I use raw wheat flour I feel a stuck mash coming on.
5. I have some lactic acid. a) how much do I use in the mash and how much in the boil.
If anyone can help please!!!!!!!!!!!
Ray
Downunder
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Recipe

Post by andytv »

There is a recipe posted on this site called "DMT Wit". I've made it twice with good results. I use klages in almost all of my recipes because I get it for a good price, you may want to sub belgian pale to be more true to style.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mmmm...Witbier.....Cloudy Delight !!!

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

To successfully brew this beer to style, you need to use unmalted wheat in a ratio above 40%.

Here are the style specifics:

Aroma: Sweet,sometimes honey-like with prominent citrus, herb and spice. Can be mildly phenolic.
Hop aroma is low to none. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Pale straw to very light gold and cloudy. Head retention quite good, mousse-like texture.

Flavor: Unmalted wheat is typically noticeable. Coriander, citrus and mild phenolic flavors contribute to a complex character. Can have some lactic acidity resulting from a Lactobacillus fermentation, which can be refreshing. Hop flavor is low to none. Hop bitterness is low, some of the bitterness is contributed by bitter orange peel. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, effervescent due to high carbonation. Refreshing acidity.

History: A 400-year-old beer style that died out in the 50s, revived by Pierre Celis in Belgium in the 60s and has grown more popular ever since.

Ingredients: 50% unmalted red winter wheat and 50% pale barley malt; some versions use raw oats as well.

Freshly-ground coriander and dried orange peel complement the sweet aroma and provide signature notes expectd in this style. Place these spices/ingredients in the mash rather than the boil for much better aromatics and flavor retention.

Ale yeast prone to production of mild, clovey/spicey flavors should be used. In some cases either a Lactobacillus fermentation, or an addition of lactic acid is made.

OG: 1.042-1.055
IBUs: 15-22
FG: 1.008-1.012
SRM: 2-4
ABV: 4.2-5.5%

You should reset your mill's gap from your malted barley setting to one that will crush wheat adequately. You want the wheat to look like "grits", not flour. You can use a single infusion mash to produce this style, but make sure that conversion is complete with an iodine test.

Eric