[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - Fermenting stops after only a few days

Fermenting stops after only a few days

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Fermenting stops after only a few days

Postby jimcraig » Tue May 13, 2008 8:56 pm

jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Fermenting stops after only a few days

Postby jeff » Tue May 13, 2008 9:00 pm

jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Postby jimcraig » Tue May 13, 2008 9:26 pm

jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby jeff » Tue May 13, 2008 9:41 pm

jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Postby jimcraig » Tue May 13, 2008 11:37 pm

jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

RE:Fermenting stops after only a few days

Postby Legman » Wed May 14, 2008 6:16 am

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Postby jeff » Wed May 14, 2008 7:25 am

jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

attenuation

Postby slothrob » Wed May 14, 2008 2:22 pm

To understand where the %attenuation number comes from:

(OG-FG) ÷ OG = attenuation (ignore the 1 of the 1.0xx)

or, (47 - 16) ÷ 47 = 0.66 or 66%.

In other words, it's the percentage change in gravity due to fermentation.

By the way, I often have rapid fermentations of a few days or so, but I generally give the yeast another week or more or so to clean up some of the fermentation byproducts and give me a final beer with fewer off-flavors. A couple additional days are probably sufficient, but you also want about 3 days at a consistent gravity to avoid bottle bombs. I've consistently had problems of one sort or another with beers I've rushed out of primary.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Postby jimcraig » Wed May 14, 2008 9:06 pm

jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby Legman » Thu May 15, 2008 6:48 am

Relax and drink a brew man. You're like a nervous cat! :lol:

Your beer's gonna be just fine. Leave it in the fermenter for awhile. The yeast is still doing it's thing. I've been leaving mine in the fermenter for 3 weeks before I transfer to a bottling bucket. I don't use a secondary and that extra time on the yeast cake really gets rid of any off flavors faster than in the bottle and it comes out clear as a bell.

If you want higher ABV% you gotta get you OG up higher than 1.047. Chances are, your FG is going to drop more. .016 seems a little high or you've made a pretty sweet beer. But even still as it is, your ABV% is probably going to be in the mid 4.0 range depending on where you FG stops at.

[quote="jimcraig"off the top of my head it was 3# of grain and 2.25# DME, pitched London 1028 Wyest.[/quote]

3# grain and 2.25# DME isn't going to make a high ABV%. Just adjust your recipe next time if you want more than that.

Are you using a brewing calculator or are you just throwing stuff together? Your calculator will tell you approximately what your OG,FG, ABV% is and so on.
Last edited by Legman on Thu May 15, 2008 6:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: OG

Postby jeff » Thu May 15, 2008 6:56 am

jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Postby jimcraig » Thu May 15, 2008 5:12 pm

jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby Legman » Thu May 15, 2008 6:53 pm

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Postby jimcraig » Thu May 15, 2008 11:00 pm

I figured you were just bustin balls, its all good. I got thick skin and am extremely difficult to offend.

here is a link to Brains Brewing website. Its supposed to be the oldest brewery in Wales. Its known as a session beer, the beer I brewed. A traditional Welsh Ale.

got done with my "monster IPA" I ended up adding 3/4oz of Columbus at the end with the Amarillo. The color is a nice caramel color and OG came in at .057. pitched the CA Ale yeast at 69deg.
jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Brains

Postby Legman » Fri May 16, 2008 6:08 am

I checked out that website. Where have you had that beer before?
I'd be interested in trying some of that.

Did you formulate your clone recipe, or get it from somewhere?
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Next

Return to Brewing Problems, Emergencies, Help!