kegging question

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Ricky10

kegging question

Post by Ricky10 »

after carbonation,and when not dispensing what or how much psi of co2 should be left on the keg to keep it carbonated.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

It depends on who you listen to

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I run 10-12 pounds continuously. There are charts on the net that will tell you based on your beer temp you will achieve X volume of CO2 in your beer. The critial part, IMO is the length of beer line to the tap. This will balance the system and if its too short will give you a mug of foam every time. There are some folks that try to shorten the carbination time by raising the pressure and shaking the keg than lowering it to despencing preasure. Too much for me. After a week on line my beer is ready to drink.
Ricky10

carbonation

Post by Ricky10 »

thats the way I was told to do it.put on co2 10 psi for 10 seconds,pull relief for 10 seconds.raise to 25 psi and shake for 20 seconds listen for leaks, do this 3 or 4 times and let hold on pressure for 2 days.which works fine just didn't know weather I needed to leave the co2 turned on and connected to keep it carbonated.sometimes I drink a few and then depending on what I got going on I might not have any for another week or 2 or just 1 or 2 here and there and don't want it to go flat.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Leave the CO2 on

Post by brewmeisterintng »

You have to leave it on or your beer will go flat. However, dial it back to 10 or you will have a foam mess. You are, as many have, trying to shorting the process. In doing so, stabilizing the final will be a trial and error process until the beer reaches equilibrium. That means that the pressure you are maintaining on your brew is keeping the CO2 form coming out into the head space. My attempts were short lived and now just apply the 10-12, leave for a week and then start sampling. Please don't rush the brew/ keg process. It will only leave you frustrated and a less than desirable result. :D