[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - Mashing grains in a bag?

Mashing grains in a bag?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Mashing grains in a bag?

Postby Legman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:28 am

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

bag

Postby slothrob » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:25 am

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Postby Legman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:34 am

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

strainer bag

Postby slothrob » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:10 am

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

strainer bags

Postby Legman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:21 pm

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mash efficiency

Postby Legman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:27 pm

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Efficiency

Postby billd220 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:55 pm

billd220
Light Lager
Light Lager

Final Beer Analysis

Postby Legman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Postby billd220 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:23 pm

billd220
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Efficiency

Postby slothrob » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:18 am

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Efficiency

Postby Legman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:29 am

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

efficiency

Postby slothrob » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:24 am

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Final Beer Analysis

Postby Legman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:27 pm

Yeah, I get what your saying.

But even still, if I did use the readings from the fermenter, it does help correct the mash efficiency in the recipe calculator. Which gives me a better idea about that recipe.
It may not give me exactly how good my mash was from the kettle, but it still lets me know roughly how good it was. For instance I used that for my first partial mash, and it said 65% efficiency. Then by my third partial mash, trying to impove my techniques, I acheived 85.7%. Which at least tells me I did 20.7% better than before. So I improved.

But even still, if I did a full boil that ended up 5 gallons in the kettle or did a smaller boil and topped it off in the fermenter to 5 gallons, wouldn't that basically be the same thing as far as the OG is concerned in the analysis tool?
It even says this on the tool "Final Volume gal. (measured when chilled and before trub removal) "

The desciption for the analysis tool also says "This does exactly what the name says. Once you have readings from the final product, you plug them into Final Beer Analysis. Here you can discover what your brew house efficiency is and how well your yeast attenuates."

To me, final product means final product. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I'm seeing it.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

efficiency

Postby slothrob » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:20 pm

It all depends on how accurately you want your information on your mash to be.
If you ignore losses due to transfer, then you might wonder why you're getting 65% efficiency. If you had included the volume you left in the kettle you might have had 72%.

The main reason you want Mash efficiency, other than optimizing your process, is to make your brewday predictable. If you base your efficiency expectation on the low reading above, then correct your recipe for that efficiency, you are apt to overshoot your gravity on the next beer. This would be because you are actually getting a slightly higher efficiency than you believe.

This will play less of a role if you are transferring everything to your fermentor and not leaving your break material and some wort behind, but hop absorption will cause you to lose volume as well.

I find that the best time to get Mash Efficiency values is right out of the tun, before boiling. This is an opportunity to get a good volume and gravity reading without any complicating factors other than temperature, which is easily corrected.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

Postby Legman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:09 pm

I agree with you. It does all depend on how accurate you want to be. I'm still learning and some stuff is just over my head at this point. I'm just using that as a rough tool for now. And then again, I may find that's all I really need to know.

Man, is it 5:30 yet??? I need a homebrew!!!!! :mrgreen:
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Return to Techniques, Methods, Tips & How To