Slow Yeast and mold growth.

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Grizz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Slow Yeast and mold growth.

Post by Grizz »

Ok started a German Hefe Sunday. The yeast was a liquid and about 3 to 4 months older than listed to use. The white labs site said yeast is still good for up to a year. Now 2 days at 72 deg no real start. Today I activated a dry yeast to add. I found two small mold starts on the inside of carboy. Both spots were up on the glass not close to wort. Before adding the new yeast I used sanitizer and a long qtipp to remove spots careful not to drip or run mold and sanitizer into wort. Now does any one think that I can still pull the batch back from the infection and total loss or was my attempt to salvation a waste. New yeast showed instant signs of life.
Beer is to Men as Water is to Fish!
slothrob

mold

Post by slothrob »

Slow starts are always a little risky, but if mold is the only thing that got in there you might still be okay. I've read of people with large mold infections who simply skimmed off the mold and had perfectly good beer underneath. A lot of minor infections can decrease the quality of a beer a little bit without actually ruining it.

Good luck!
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Grizz
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Grizz »

Well time will only tell. But the good news is the new yeast is working away. This is the first mold I ever had show up. Still can't figure out how it got in there. Thank slothrod for the input.
Beer is to Men as Water is to Fish!