Feature Requests Archive B

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
PistolPatch

Ingredient DB Sorting

Post by PistolPatch »

After writing the above, I just found a solution - agh!

dgriffin and GTIBrewFast: If you expand the Ingredient DB by clicking on the + sign in the main pane, the ingredients come up as sub-folders of Grains, Extracts, Adjuncts Hops etc. This solves most sort problems.

Admin: Is it possible to make it so that when you double-click on a folder it expands? I just assumed that when nothing happened after double-clicking the main folders there were no sub-folders. Hopefully this would solve a lot of people's problems as double-clicking is natural to nearly all users.

Cheers
PP
Processor: Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20GHz OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit RAM: 1023MB Hard Disk: 320GB NTFS ST3320620ASA ATA Display Adadptor: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Monitors: (Dual) Packard Bell Flat Screen 15" Samsung 21"Widescreen SyncMaster 205BW
GTIBrewFast
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Ingredient DB Sorting

Post by GTIBrewFast »

PistolPatch wrote:dgriffin and GTIBrewFast: If you expand the Ingredient DB by clicking on the + sign in the main pane, the ingredients come up as sub-folders of Grains, Extracts, Adjuncts Hops etc. This solves most sort problems.

Cheers
PP
I already have the sub folders displayed, that doesn't really address what I was requesting. Thanks though.

I was talking about eliminating the need to scroll through those individual sub-category ingredients, like hops, by using the keyboard.
Acer Aspire 5003WLCI, Turion64 1.6GHz, 512MB, XPh, 60GB
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

GTIBrewFast wrote: I was talking about eliminating the need to scroll through those individual sub-category ingredients, like hops, by using the keyboard.
Do you know that you can type a few letters in the text box above the ingredients field to limit what's listed below?

For example, type in "mari" and only the Maris Otter malts will be displayed. Type in "faw" and only the Thomas Fawcett brand malts will display.

Type in "hops" and only the hops will display.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Dude
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Dude »

In the top fieid where you can display recipes/ingredients/etc. , can you make it so a window or display field can show the entire text? Beersmith does this nicely, if you hover over the item you want to see.

It is really frustrating to have to open the pop-up box to read about an ingredient's description, IMHO.

Thanks!!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Dude wrote:In the top fieid where you can display recipes/ingredients/etc. , can you make it so a window or display field can show the entire text? Beersmith does this nicely, if you hover over the item you want to see.

It is really frustrating to have to open the pop-up box to read about an ingredient's description, IMHO.

Thanks!!
I usually open the info panel and position it next to the main window so that I can see all the information for every item I click on. Works ok for me. :)
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Dude
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Dude »

I feel I need to post again about a set of timers appropriate for different stages of the brew day.

This is a feature that I think is extremely important if BeerTools is going to be considered the all-inclusive tool for brewing software.

I know you guys have mentioned that timers are going to be part of the process eventually--but I think it needs to be pushed more to the forefront on the "things-to-do" list.

There is plenty of space over on the right side (next to the pint glass) for a set of timers.

I think this would go a long ways in making this software the best one out there--by a mile.
Last edited by Dude on Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dude
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Dude »

jeff wrote:
Dude wrote:In the top fieid where you can display recipes/ingredients/etc. , can you make it so a window or display field can show the entire text? Beersmith does this nicely, if you hover over the item you want to see.

Thanks!!
I usually open the info panel and position it next to the main window so that I can see all the information for every item I click on. Works ok for me. :)
What I don't like about that info panel is that no matter where you move it, it is covering something up on the rest of the screen.

Must be just me. No prob.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Dude wrote: What I don't like about that info panel is that no matter where you move it, it is covering something up on the rest of the screen.
Only if you maximize the main window. I keep my main window at about 80% of the screen width and the info panel the other 20%. I also stretch the info panel to the same height as the main window. BTP remembers the position of both windows when it opens the next time so you only have to setup your layout once. It is a very common method utilized by Adobe for interface elements such as color pickers, info panels, layers, etc.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Dude
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Dude »

jeff wrote:
Dude wrote: What I don't like about that info panel is that no matter where you move it, it is covering something up on the rest of the screen.
Only if you maximize the main window. I keep my main window at about 80% of the screen width and the info panel the other 20%. I also stretch the info panel to the same height as the main window. BTP remembers the position of both windows when it opens the next time so you only have to setup your layout once. It is a very common method utilized by Adobe for interface elements such as color pickers, info panels, layers, etc.

Okay, thanks. I'll try that. I didn't even consider that it could (the info panel) could be re-sized.

Cool.
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Tabbing through hop fields

Post by TCBrewguy »

In the ingredients window for a given recipe, I would like to be able to tab over from the "Boil" field to the "Quantity" field. Currently, hitting tab after entering the boil time is in effect like hitting "enter." I know it seems a little insignificant, but it's a creature comfort that I think would be really easy to implement and it would save a mouse click.

Also, do you think the hop information in the info pane could include the hop type (pellet, plug, whole)?
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
PFBrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by PFBrew »

How tough would it be to add a purchase date field to My Ingredients items?
CPU: Intel Pentium D 3.0Ghz
RAM: 4 GB
NVidia GeForce 7950GT 512 MB
1920x1200
GTIBrewFast
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by GTIBrewFast »

slothrob wrote:
GTIBrewFast wrote: I was talking about eliminating the need to scroll through those individual sub-category ingredients, like hops, by using the keyboard.
Do you know that you can type a few letters in the text box above the ingredients field to limit what's listed below?

For example, type in "mari" and only the Maris Otter malts will be displayed. Type in "faw" and only the Thomas Fawcett brand malts will display.

Type in "hops" and only the hops will display.
The only problem is that it's hit or miss if the item you are looking for is going to be displayed in the immediate grid view. Say for example I click on the grains folder in the Ingredients db. Then I type "toa" or "toas" or "toast" for toasted malt...every single ingredient that has those letters in sequence in either the title, origin, supplier or description will display which then have to sort though...granted, a shorter list. It's a step closer to my request but still not totally effective for going right to what I want to find with a minimum number of key strokes.

Edit: If this search could be restricted to a specific highlighted field in the view, it would be on the money.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

GTIBrewFast wrote:Edit: If this search could be restricted to a specific highlighted field in the view, it would be on the money.
Perform the search just on the sort column?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
GTIBrewFast
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by GTIBrewFast »

jeff wrote:
GTIBrewFast wrote:Edit: If this search could be restricted to a specific highlighted field in the view, it would be on the money.
Perform the search just on the sort column?
Yes!...I guess if could wave my magic wand, it would search all fields by default but restrict to a specific filed if you clicked on it before searching. So if I clicked on the grain folder, then the name column, it would just search that field.
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Software

Post by a_daley »

This is more of a bit of a suggestion than anything to show the user the software is registered but it why not "grey out" registered user and email address when software has been licensed? I am well aware you have much higher priorities currently though... Just thinking of preventing potential user problems...

Also is it possible to have the save button come active if I edit one item of information only in specific fields in a recipe - say "Wort Boil Duration" for example ***without*** pressing enter or clicking on another field???