Feature Requests Archive B

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
dgriffin

Post by dgriffin »

Not a huge deal but when selecting ingredients from the top it's cool to sort but if I'm in the active column I can just type a letter and it would go directly to the items that start with that letter.

For instance I am in the hops and I just selected cascade but wanted to now select northern Brewer. I could just hit 'N' on the keyboard and it would take me to the first hop starting with N. It's like when using Outlook to sort for an E-mail quickly
GTIBrewFast
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by GTIBrewFast »

I've skimmed through the thread and haven't seen this:

In the interface, when you select something like Hops and you are presented with the grid view of all the hops in the database (or my ingredients) , it would be nice to be able to use the keyboard to go right to the selection desired rather than having to scroll through the list. For example, I start typing "M""A""G" and the grid view highlight moves to magnum.
Acer Aspire 5003WLCI, Turion64 1.6GHz, 512MB, XPh, 60GB
mranes

Re: Grist ratio

Post by mranes »

jeff wrote:
mranes wrote:Basically, just let me set a quart/pound (or other scale) brewhouse preference and then have the basic recipe printouts reflect this in how much mash water I need.

Mark
Is it possible for you to send me a PDF of the print-out that includes the information you want so I have a point of reference?
I'll see what I can do for this. Unfortunately, the other "unnamed software product" where I can get an example is running on an old crappy Dell laptop, that was my brewing box, running Windows 98. I don't believe it will be PDF friendly:)

Mark
Lakota
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: Grist ratio

Post by Lakota »

mranes wrote:

I'll see what I can do for this. Unfortunately, the other "unnamed software product" where I can get an example is running on an old crappy Dell laptop, that was my brewing box, running Windows 98. I don't believe it will be PDF friendly:)

You may want to use this program to create PDF files http://www.primopdf.com

It's one of my favorites.
joshi
Light Lager
Light Lager

Feature Request: Pitch Rate Calculator

Post by joshi »

How about a pitch rate calculator that takes into account the recipe's OG and style. Factor in oxygenation method and optional stirplate to give needed number of tubes or packs. Ideally, you could give the step-up sizes and instructions/schedule for propagating the yeast. A good example of this functionality can be seen at www.mrmalty.com. It is quite handy.
Been there, brewed that.
barleypopmaker
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by barleypopmaker »

I would also like to see some presets for equipment, heat sources, and schedules. You don
-Jason

Beta testing on an older Dell latitude c610 Laptop
Windows XP Professional SP2
Pentium III
256 RAM
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

you could always make a template file. i think sloth and some of the others do this.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

Templates

Post by lathe »

barleypopmaker,

Have you tried using templates in BTP?

File > Save as template

Here is an article on using them:
Using Templates in BeerTools Pro
Lathe
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Templates and defaults

Post by slothrob »

Templates are a good approach. I use them for more atypical approaches like Decoctions and Cereal Mashes.

I also use the Default setting to open up a new recipe window with all my equipment, my most commonly used base grain, average efficiency, attenuation and volumes, and a standard Batch Sparge Schedule.

When I formulate a typical new recipe, All I do is add the specialty grains, adjust the base grain quantity to my desired OG, add the hops, and the Recipe and Schedule are pretty much done and calculated for me. I may need to tweak the Schedule here and there to get it perfect, but not much usually.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
barleypopmaker
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by barleypopmaker »

Yeah, I had templates made, but when I lost all my info in a hard drive crash last month, I have to go about all of it again. Mainly I was thinking of newer users. But admitingly also being a bit selfish when looking at entering all that info again. :wink:
-Jason

Beta testing on an older Dell latitude c610 Laptop
Windows XP Professional SP2
Pentium III
256 RAM
slothrob

Equipment Database

Post by slothrob »

Check out the equipment database thread.

A few of us have entered information for most of the pieces of equipment that were mentioned.

I wish there was a way to exchange the specifications directly. I suppose someone could compile all that equipment into a single "recipe" and post the recipe somewhere. Then anyone who wanted could download the "recipe" and add whatever equipment they wanted to their own database.

The same could also be done with schedule presets.

Is there a place we could post these things on BeerTools.com, Jeff?
At one time, some of us sent in sample schedules, but I'm not sure what happened to those... Are they in the Wiki?
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
PFBrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by PFBrew »

Fermentation Log:

Able to track ( temps, duration, steps ( Pri/Sec/Crash cool etc. ), gravity ) Graphing would be very cool, think this was mentioned before.

Month Calendar:

Would be nice to have a Month calendar view for selecting a day. Something like hover over date field and pop up that months calendar.
CPU: Intel Pentium D 3.0Ghz
RAM: 4 GB
NVidia GeForce 7950GT 512 MB
1920x1200
pmd428
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by pmd428 »

I would like to be able to get to my mash schedule from the drop down folders on the left hand side of the screen. I would also like to have a boil step listed in the mash schedule as one of the steps like sparging.
rixport

up and down arrow function

Post by rixport »

One thing I'd like to see is pretty basic. I find it somewhat cumbersome to have to sit and click the up arrow 35 times to get to 35 pounds of grain for example. If you could just push the up arrow and hold it until you close in on the volume you are after, then release if and fine tune it with single clicks.

ks
Cray-1 Powered by V-8 Cummins turbo diesel generator.

30 Gal Kettle 200k BTU burner - 2 15 gal HLT with 220 volt heating elements - 20 gal MLT with false bottom - Herms with 3 PID controllers - Plate Chiller - 2 temp controlled chest freezers
PistolPatch

Ingredient DB Sorting

Post by PistolPatch »

As dgriffin and GTIBrewFast have mentioned, adding advanced sorting features would be a huge bonus. This might be quite complicated to program though. Perhaps the following would be an easy and quick temporary fix?...

1. On any sort, make the "Name" column the second highest priority column to sort. (For example, at the moment, if I'm looking for a malt and sort on the "Supplier," the name of the grains comes up unsorted alphabetically which means searching through all that suppliers malts.)

2. On sorts where, "Name" is the primary sort column, make "Type" the secondary sort column.

I am almost totally new to BeerTools but have both the, "other" programs. I think BeerTools has heaps of advantages over the others and this is why I have decided to transfer everything over.

Anyway, my first step has been transferring my inventory so at the moment the only feedback I can give is that enabling the above would certainly save a heap of time.

Cheers,
PP
Processor: Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20GHz OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit RAM: 1023MB Hard Disk: 320GB NTFS ST3320620ASA ATA Display Adadptor: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Monitors: (Dual) Packard Bell Flat Screen 15" Samsung 21"Widescreen SyncMaster 205BW