Feature Requests Archive B

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
attitude

Re: Clipboard...

Post by attitude »

Thanks , I finally figured it out. What a pain in the *ss. With promash , its one click.

lathe wrote:attitude,

If you press the "copy" button, the html will be placed in your computers clipboard. Once you have done that, "paste" it into an empty plain text file (notepad). Saving that plain text file with the .html extension creates an html file.

EX: myrecipe.html

Open the file with your internet browser to test it.
HP Pavilion dv1040US*Pentium M 1.6GHz*14.0 15:9 ratio 1280 X 768 res WXGA HD rightview Widescreen*1 GB Ram*
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Dilution Tool

Post by wottaguy »

This request has been asked from a member (djavet) and I thought it was a very worthy request. He has made a request of a Dilution Tool to be added to BTP. Below is what he has requested:

http://www.beertools.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7548#17548

I do agree that this would be a very good additional feature and should be added when possible.

Thanks!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Dilution Tool

Post by TCBrewguy »

wottaguy wrote:This request has been asked from a member (djavet) and I thought it was a very worthy request. He has made a request of a Dilution Tool to be added to BTP. Below is what he has requested:

http://www.beertools.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7548#17548

I do agree that this would be a very good additional feature and should be added when possible.

Thanks!

(_)3
Isn't that what the "Water Volume Added" field does?

MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Re: Dilution Tool

Post by wottaguy »

Hi TCBrewguy,

The dilution tool that djavet describes is not the same tool that you are thinking of. The dilution tool in question calculates the tital SG of any wort if it is diluted with an amount of water OR an amount of wort of known specific gravity. This tool is very useful for determining how much water or wort to add to achieve a certain SG. Both Pro Mash and Beer Smith have this type of tool. I personaly find myself using the dilution tool listed in Pro Mash quite often and it has been a very important tool for me. I use it all the time!

Thanks for your input.

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

Gotcha.
MacBook Pro 15.4" / 2GHz CPU / 250 GB HD / 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / OS X v10.5.8 / 1440 x 900 display / BTP v1.5.12
TCBrewguy
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by TCBrewguy »

I know the beta is launching tomorrow, but I figured I'd mention this feature request anyway: I would really like to see the "duplicate ingredient" feature return. It existed in v1.0 and went away with v1.1.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

TCBrewguy wrote:I know the beta is launching tomorrow, but I figured I'd mention this feature request anyway: I would really like to see the "duplicate ingredient" feature return. It existed in v1.0 and went away with v1.1.
+1
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
mranes

Post by mranes »

Something *really* simple I'd like to see is to have the mash infusion volume included on the printed recipe. It is a PITA to have to load the recipe, pull down the calculators and the select the Mash tab to just to see how much water goes in my mash tun.

Please include this critical piece of information on printouts. I hate having to manually check this every time i brew...

Mark
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

mranes wrote:Something *really* simple I'd like to see is to have the mash infusion volume included on the printed recipe. It is a PITA to have to load the recipe, pull down the calculators and the select the Mash tab to just to see how much water goes in my mash tun.

Please include this critical piece of information on printouts. I hate having to manually check this every time i brew...

Mark
Do you use the Schedule field to calculate the mash volumes?
The volumes from the Schedule field should be included on the printout.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
mranes

Post by mranes »

Nope. The Schedules area is, how can I say this... less than intuitive. Yes, I've looked at it more than twice and still come away baffled.

I had promised myself I wouldn't mention the "other" brewing package that everyone else keeps mentioning, but it allows me to set a constant grist ratio, and then it simply pops out the water volume needed on the recipe. In Beertools, I have to manually add the grain bill (or go back to the Analysis tab), then use the calculators.

Yea, it sounds like I need to sit down and figure out the Schedules area, but I'd like to see a way to set a brewhouse constant volume infusion ratio (quarts/pounds), then then have Beertools do the math. I'm doing simple single infusion mashes 90% of the time (and I'll bet most others are, too) so setting up a mash schedule seems like far more work that it will pay out.

I know two other members of my brewclub that use Beertools, and this is an issue with them, too. Maybe we're all just dolts! :)

Mark
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

mranes wrote:In Beertools, I have to manually add the grain bill (or go back to the Analysis tab), then use the calculators.
You can also perform quick mash calculations using the Window->Calculators->Mash tools. These are not tied to the recipe so there is no need to add ingredients to get fast answers.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
mranes

Post by mranes »

jeff wrote:
mranes wrote:In Beertools, I have to manually add the grain bill (or go back to the Analysis tab), then use the calculators.
You can also perform quick mash calculations using the Window->Calculators->Mash tools. These are not tied to the recipe so there is no need to add ingredients to get fast answers.
This is what I've been doing - but unfortunately, I have to write the info down on the printed recipe. In the end, it's all good, but it is an extra step when I'm heading out to my brew area to mill grain and prepare my water.

I realize I'm just whining about functionality that is built into Beertools, but I was hoping for a quick and dirty solution, based on a brewhouse constant grist ratio. This simple request is my biggest issue in moving over from the other company's software. If I hadn't been there first, and gotten used to the data they put on their printouts, I'd probably never have noticed this. Beertools is sooooo much more efficient and feature rich than the other company's software, that at this point I'd never go back! I'll shut up now :)

Mark
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

mranes wrote:I realize I'm just whining about functionality that is built into Beertools, but I was hoping for a quick and dirty solution, based on a brewhouse constant grist ratio. This simple request is my biggest issue in moving over from the other company's software. If I hadn't been there first, and gotten used to the data they put on their printouts, I'd probably never have noticed this. Beertools is sooooo much more efficient and feature rich than the other company's software, that at this point I'd never go back! I'll shut up now
So all you want is a little more data on the print-out?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
mranes

Post by mranes »

jeff wrote:So all you want is a little more data on the print-out?
Yup:)

Basically, just let me set a quart/pound (or other scale) brewhouse preference and then have the basic recipe printouts reflect this in how much mash water I need.

Mark
joshi
Light Lager
Light Lager

Presets Request

Post by joshi »

I understand the previous confusion about building the schedules. At first it was not overly intuitive. I do like the new schedules system. It makes a number of improvements. Personally, after spending some time with BTP's scheduling system, I really like it. It is super flexible and capable of describing many of the more professional and exotic mash proceedures.

One of the hardest parts of becoming familiar with this system is getting set up. So to help with the learning curve (and ultimately the system's acceptance) I propose the following three things:

1) Presets and example equipment. Many many people use fairly standard sized equipment, such as a converted keg (keggle), turkey fryer burner, 5 or 10 gallon round cooler, etc. I know there is a thread in the forums where you can go see what everyone else tested and used, but it would be REALLY helpful if you could choose these things from a list when you are defining your equipment.

2) Preset Mash Schedules. The previous version had this feature and I think it is a good way to play around with the schedules and figure out what each step consists of and what variables mean what. So keep the pre-sets. Also you might consider a 'wizard' for generating the mash schedule. Most homebrewers (assuming they are your largest target audience) use fairly simple mash schedules. (Well at least the newer brewers. And I'd think you want to not drive away brewers in their formative stages from your product.)
Step 1) So something like starting the wizard and choosing between Single Infusion, 1 Step Infustion, 2 Step Infusion, Single Decoction, Double Decoction, Triple Decoction. Mash Combination (for cereal cookers), etc.
Step 2) Choose temperature and duration for the rests.
Step 3) Choose type, length and volume for the sparge.

I think using the wizards will save time for experienced brewers, as well as give a basis for newer users of the software to become accustomed to it.

3) Ability to Save/Export and then Load/Import mash schedules. Once you have your process defined, they are likely to reuse that same process over and over with slight modification to temperature rests. Having to redefine everything for each recipe can get to be a drag.

Regards,
Joshi Fullop
Systems Engineer
NCSA
Been there, brewed that.