[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4711: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3841)
BeerTools Discussion Forum • View topic - mash efficency and O.gravity

mash efficency and O.gravity

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

mash efficency and O.gravity

Postby johnnynothumb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:31 pm

johnnynothumb
Light Lager
Light Lager

Efficiency

Postby slothrob » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:18 am

BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slothrob

RE: Efficiency

Postby wottaguy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:27 pm

Timely topic as a friend of mine had this same probelm as well. He uses a 5 gallon round cooler outfitted with a braided SS hose on the bottom and also fly-sparges. He was getting 65% efficiency all the time. We took a step by step approach to solving the problem. We decided to grind the grains with a finer crush then mash a batch to compare the numbers. We got the same results 65% eff.
We then decided to swap out the short (9") SS braid and replace it with a longer one, and keep the same setting on the malt mill. We installed a much longer braid (36") coiled in the bottom, then mashed up another batch..same recipe..and much to our joy, we had obtained an efficiency of 82%! Needless to say, we had to dilute the wort to get it to our required OG range.
This result made both of us very happy, and Bob has been getting 82-85% efficiency ever since!

I just wanted to share this information with the collective.

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re: RE: Efficiency

Postby billvelek » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:19 pm

Last edited by billvelek on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

RE: mash efficency...

Postby wottaguy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:19 am

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

THANKS

Postby johnnynothumb » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:04 pm

YOU ALL HAVE GIVEN ME OPTIONS AND THINGS TO WORK ON. I HAD HOPED TO FIRE UP A NEW SYSTEM THIS WEEKEND BUT ITS IS RAINING LIKE HELL HERE AND IT WILL HAVE TO WAIT

THANKS AGAIN
ERIC LEDBETTER
johnnynothumb
Light Lager
Light Lager

RE: THANKS

Postby wottaguy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:39 am

Eric,

I know what you mean about rainy days.

That's why I have configured my system to brew in the garage. It allows me to brew even on a mild rainy day. But id the weather is real bad, I'll wait until a nicer day arrives. I just very fortunate enough to have a garage to brew in.

Let us know how you make out on your efficiency issue and of any changes that you have made to improve it. I'm sure that there are others that would be interested in this topic.

Good Luck!

(_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common