McCormick Extract

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

DrewBrew

McCormick Extract

Post by DrewBrew »

Hi all,
My wife bought some McCormick strawberry extract from the grocery store and asked if I can make her a strawberry wheat with it. Is this the same type of extract that the brew stores sell? The packages are only 1oz. How much would I need for a 5 gallon batch? I think I would just add the extract to the priming bucket before I bottle. Has anyone used the McCormick stuff? I see that they also sell raspberry, vanilla, etc.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Puree'

Post by Freon12 »

Is that the same as Puree'?. If so,I have used Cherry at 1.5# per 5 gal. in the secondary.

P.S. does the wife brew? If so she needs to talk to my wife about getting started.
DrewBrew

Extract

Post by DrewBrew »

No. Unfortunately the wife doesn't brew. She doesn't like my heavy beers so she wants me to make her a lighter fruit beer. That's why she dumped the extract on me.
I don't think the McCormick stuff is a Puree. I thinks it's just a flavoring that you can add to foods. I know she used it once when she was making strawberry daquries(spelling?).
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Idea

Post by Freon12 »

That gives an idea.
The kind of idea that has sewered a couple of brews. I'll do it anyway!
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

McCormick Extract....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

The McCormick extracts you get in the grocery store take 2 forms: 1) Natural Extract - obtained through alcohol reduction and 2) Artificial Extract - Obtained through evil chemical combinations !

Both of the extract styles were designed specifically for food use because when heated, the alchol is released with only the flavor remaining. If used in liquor containing drinks, the alcohol simply blends with the alcohol in the liquor. When used in beer, the natural extract comes of harsh and the artificial comes off like cool aid ! So... stick to extracts ment for post fermentaion additions to wine and beer and you will be happy with the results.

Eric