racking to secondary... sediment

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Arneba28

racking to secondary... sediment

Post by Arneba28 »

so this is the first time that I will be using a secondary fermentation with the IPA that I have going now. I have never used a secondary and cant find anything to tell me whether of not to take the sediment at the bottom. I am assuming that I do but I am honestly not sure...help
dasein668
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by dasein668 »

Nope. Leave it behind. The primary reason for a secondary is to get your beer off the trub which consists of cold break protein material, hop detritus, and yeast. If you plan to move the trub as well, then you might as well leave it in the primary.
Nathan

v1.5.2

1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook | 2.0 gig DDR2 RAM | Boot ROM MB21.00A5.B07 | SMC Version 1.13f3 | 1280x800 | OSX 10.4.11
Arneba28

Post by Arneba28 »

thanks man
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

+1

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Secondary fermentation is all about clearing your beer. I usually leave ales for two weeks in the secondary so that I can get the maximum amount of stuff to drop out. Use an auto siphon with a cap on the tip to help leave the yeast/ break material behind when kegging or bottling.